1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Calcium Deposits?? I think?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by babychickfarmer, Jun 12, 2007.

1. babychickfarmer

babychickfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Only one of my hens are laying eggs with the calcium deposits on it. (the little pimple looking things.) What causes that?? Is there any way I can get rid of it??

2. babychickfarmer

Come on I see everyone looking Can u please helpme at all?

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Mine have that too, sometimes. Usually, they are lavender colored, LOL. I have no idea why exactly they are on there nor what you could do about it. It really isnt a problem, I guess. Sorry I dont really know how you could stop it. Must just be the way they form the shells sometimes.
    *** I did find this statement for you:

Some eggs have a rough pimply appearance. The pimples (calcium deposits) are distortions to the shell. Infection is not responsible because pimpling also occurs in disease-free flocks. The defect may be partly hereditary

Last edited: Jun 12, 2007
  4. Jezebelle

Jezebelle Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2007
    Pinnacle, NC
    "Some eggs have a rough pimply appearance. The pimples (calcium deposits) are distortions to the shell. Infection is not responsible because pimpling also occurs in disease-free flocks. The defect may be partly hereditary."

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/PS020

excess calcium in the body causing those deposites?[​IMG] what are you feeding her? how old is she and what kind of chicken is she?

5. babychickfarmer

Quote:She is americauna she's a year old and she's getting a mix of cracked corn, wheat, layer pellets and free choice oyster shell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by