Calcium deposits

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by katie80gleason, Jun 4, 2017.

1. katie80gleason

katie80gleason In the Brooder

Nov 29, 2016
    One of my hens has the bumpy calcium deposits on her eggs. While I've read this is normal from time to time, she has it on every egg. And so much now that there are calcium deposits inside the egg which makes it really gritty and not tasty to eat. I started them on oyster shells about 2 weeks ago but it hasn't seemed to help and I'm not even sure that was the correct thing to do. Any suggestions? She was the survivor of an attack about 2 months ago.... could it be related? She is only 1 year old

2. What breed?
    My sex link started doing the same thing around the same time

3. strangeanimal

strangeanimal Songster

Mar 21, 2017
    Belgium
    Hi , I believed stress was not related however I think stress affects everything on a chicken , do you remember the last time you used products like against worms or any changes in appetite ? how often do you get them grit ? and what did you use before ? could also be change of supply ... or something else .

4. strangeanimal

strangeanimal Songster

Mar 21, 2017
    Belgium
    my hybrid started this two weeks ago and nothing was going on , lays now occasionally such eggs or softshelled ... the warmth ???

5. I did some research, when my sex link started laying odd eggs, and I found that it's because hybrids are bred to lay large eggs for a short time, after which their egg quality goes downhill fast

6. katie80gleason

Nov 29, 2016

7. katie80gleason

Nov 29, 2016
    I only started giving them oysters shells a few weeks ago. Other then that I don't feed them grit anymore . I guess maybe I should be? I have never used any worm products or anything like that .

strangeanimal likes this.
  8. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: