1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Calcium for cross beak

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by LOVEIGEE, Oct 2, 2012.

1. LOVEIGEE

LOVEIGEE Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    Hi everyone,
    I have a 7 month old easter egger that is a cross beak. Bless everyone for all the information on the best way to feed. DH made a "J" pvc feeder for dry feed and then when I get home, I feed wet mash with healthy treats included. She is not laying yet, but was wondering how to get calcium to her since she can't pick it up. I have bowl of oyster shell in the run, but I know she can't get it.
    Thank you for your help................

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Bake some egg shells in the oven for a bit to sterilise them, then grind them up to mix with her wet mash.

3. LOVEIGEE

Jul 24, 2010
    Thank you Sumi......great idea.....she's is doing really good and I want to give her the best chance I can.

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Layer feed will actually provide her with all the calcium she needs, but it would not hurt to add just a little to her feed.

5. LOVEIGEE

Jul 24, 2010
    1muttsfan....yes, I have layer's feed, but have 4 bags of grower/broiler to get rid of first. I was feeding this for the higher protein content and kind of ended up with a little cross beak that we decided to give a chance. I have a separate container with oyster shell, but know she can't pick it up. I'll feel better once I can break open the layer's mash......Thank you so much!

6. Gregory Peck

Gregory Peck Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2012
    Great info! We are in the same situation (1 year old easter egger just started to lay). How much of the crushed egg shell do you give per feeding? Can you give too much?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by