Calcium for new layers

nuchickontheblock

Songster
9 Years
May 16, 2010
south portland, maine
I have 2 golden comets who have started laying in the past week. Most days 2 egg, (one each), but on a couple of days, I've had 3 eggs in a 12 hour period. The 3rd egg usually just has a membrane. I know there systems are just getting going, so there is a lot of variability in their egg sizes, and shell strength.

I am offering free oyster shell, plus they free range and get layer feed. Other than mixing a little plain yogurt into their pellets, any other suggestions for calium rich foods?

I have 2 golden comets who have started laying in the past week. Most days 2 egg, (one each), but on a couple of days, I've had 3 eggs in a 12 hour period. The 3rd egg usually just has a membrane. I know there systems are just getting going, so there is a lot of variability in their egg sizes, and shell strength.

I am offering free oyster shell, plus they free range and get layer feed. Other than mixing a little plain yogurt into their pellets, any other suggestions for calium rich foods?

What you are experiencing is not related to lack of calcium or an indication of a need to increase their calcium intake. The fact that the third egg is arriving in this sort of time frame and without an outer shell is simply an indication that it is not receiving the benefit of the necessary time in the uterus where it would be coated by the shell gland. With time their systems will regulate and you will see the sequence and completeness of the eggs produced level out.

Thank you. Very helpful info.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom