1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Calcium, grit and food

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Tikkajazz94, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Tikkajazz94

Tikkajazz94 Chillin' With My Peeps

So, I gave my quail a cuttlebone. is that good? I read that somebody on here uses one. I read giving canary food is okay. So I mixed it in with their other food. And quail need grit right? Can I use canary grit?

2. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    i keep cuddlefish bones in my coop constantly, its something for them to peck on instead of the cage...or eachother. Need grit....you mean like...oyster shell grit or...

only things quails NEED are good quality GBS and water lol. everything else is extra

3. Tikkajazz94

Tikkajazz94 Chillin' With My Peeps

So what does grit do? I thought oyster shell was their source of calcium? And that's why the cuttlebone.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Cuttle bone is for calcium only. They will consume it when they need more calcium in their diet. Grit is needed for the gizzard for grinding up food that is not water soluble. There is huge debate on whether or not they need grit as the crumbles food is water soluble. So in theory they shouldn't need it if on a crumbles diet only. But I think it should be offered anyway. My aviary birds are constantly eating small stones and such even when I do not offer hard course foods like seeds, nuts etc...which occasionally I do.

5. Chikndinner

Chikndinner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    My Bag of Game bird starter says to offer fine grit

6. Missi

Missi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    Naples, FL
    I mix parakeet seed mix in with my GB crumbles so I also offer a dish of grit. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by