Calcium Intake and grit

Stepnout

Crowing
5 Years
May 6, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
1793BBAB-3CF0-46B9-8577-977322C46C63.jpeg 9B6D1E1E-A275-48FB-AD67-2F741201CA1A.jpeg C379C43E-A10F-4051-BA4E-F79C0F387903.jpeg
Ok we have a local quarry and they make limestone products called Dolomitic lime. I have provided 3 pictures one of the actual grit I have been feeding which is actually the traction product for ice in driveways. One is the bag the grit comes in and the Otha picture is the powdered lime used to neutralize acidic soil. Both products contain 20% calcium.
Can this type of calcium when eaton by hens as grit be metabolized, absorbed in a similar way as oyster shells.
I did not realize this product contained calcium. I supply a mixture of general sand, grit in the picture, oyster shells, crushed, cooked egg shells and DE all inside a cat litter box in the pen. They eat this mixture steady. They also dig and eat soil. I move my birds to new gras every 2 days.
I have 6 pullets of different ages only one is laying but 3 are watching her lay and investigating the nest boxes.
I am mixing my last half bag of grower with layer feed because I have one hen that’s only 15/16 weeks not real sure.
Please comment, thanks

Stick with oyster shell Dolomite is a calcium carbonate product but with different chemicals present, it is different in several ways from limestone rock because dolomite chemically reacts in different ways from oyster shell and/or limestone rock.
I'd second that also. I've never come across dolomite as anything other than fertiliser on the farm. We live in a temperate climate so don't have to grit the roads. I'd assume that the calcium in the dolomite powder would be more readily absorbed purely just down to surface area of the particles, but because of the magnesium in the dolomite I think it would be best to avoid it.

You don't have to switch to layer, laying pullets/hens can eat grower as long as they have Oyster Shells in a separate dish. When I started raising chickens, the stage feed was making me crazy since I'm allowed 6. Then I read about how it's ok that layers be fed higher protein feed as laying takes alot out of them. So for the past couple years have been feeding Flock Raiser (fermented) with Oyster Shells in a separate dish as well as another dish for grit. Never had any issues with egg shell quality, in fact their shells are stronger than the store bought ones and those that I fed layer feed to.

You don't have to switch to layer, laying pullets/hens can eat grower as long as they have Oyster Shells in a separate dish. When I started raising chickens, the stage feed was making me crazy since I'm allowed 6. Then I read about how it's ok that layers be fed higher protein feed as laying takes alot out of them. So for the past couple years have been feeding Flock Raiser (fermented) with Oyster Shells in a separate dish as well as another dish for grit. Never had any issues with egg shell quality, in fact their shells are stronger than the store bought ones and those that I fed layer feed to.

Thanks, our choices are limited in this area. The grower would be too old as the mill only runs that in spring and summer. I would be afraid of freshness later on. One thing I have been doing is in the morning I wet their feed like oatmeal they love it! Just enough they can eat in one sitting. They always have dry feed in a 5 gallon pvc feeder.

Stick with oyster shell Dolomite is a calcium carbonate product but with different chemicals present, it is different in several ways from limestone rock because dolomite chemically reacts in different ways from oyster shell and/or limestone rock.
Thanks
I’ve just noticed the content on the powdered Dolimite bag. In the last week. Been using the powdered on my garden and lawn for years to neutralize our acidic soil. I do have the oyster shells as stated in my first post. I’ll stick with it and the all purpose sand I purchased at Home Hardware.

Back
Top Bottom