1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Calcium Question.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RickyWashburn, Nov 21, 2016.

1. RickyWashburn

RickyWashburn New Egg

Nov 21, 2016
    Alabama
    Will added calcium in chicken food cause the strength of the egg to increase to the point that chicks have difficulty breaking through the shell at 21-22 days?

It seems like I'm having way to many chicks die in the shell at around the 21 day mark.

Is there a better feed available for the development of chicks?

2. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    Hi Ricky. Welcome to BYC!

The health of the parents (breeders) is very important to the development of chicks. A good food, minimum treats, clean water and a healthy environment can do wonders.

With so many late deaths, I'm wondering about how you are incubating. What incubator are you using and what settings? Do you check air cell growth? The reason I am asking is because some people incubate with too high humidity, so the air cells do not get big enough at the end and the chicks drown. Do you open the eggs afterwards? If so, how did the chicks look?

There are a lot of people here on BYC that can help you have better hatches. Glad you stopped in!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by