Calcium rich fresh treats?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TwoDogFarm, Mar 6, 2015.

1. TwoDogFarm

TwoDogFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2014
    North Carolina
    We are facing calcium deficiency in the flock. (We have chickens and ducks together). We provided free choice oyster shells but I would like to know of some fresh calcium rich treats that I can plant or obtain for my ducks that won't hurt the drakes if they eat them as well. I know there's got to be a list out there. Thanks.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    There is some discussion and disagreement about drakes and calcium. Some are more concerned than others about that.

Dandelions are said to have quite a bit of calcium. So are collards and kelp.

I dissolve calcium citrate tablets in water and put that into the layer feed. Here is a recent wrinkle, though - for nearly two years I have kept three of the Buffs (a drake and two females) separate from the rest of the flock of Runners and one Buff. This winter, peace has been made between the two groups.

So, now, I am sorting out how to give him less calcium than I give the rest. His females did not have calcium issues, so I fed them all layer with no extra calcium.

I have only decided so far that the risk of egg yolk peritonitis and prolapse are greater than the risk of problems for the drake. If someone feels vigorously otherwise, I respect that. I have talked this over with my vet. And if there is research on ducks on this topic I would be happy to learn of it. The peer-reviewed article I am aware of is for a different species of bird.

One scientific article I read indicated that ducks have the ability to store and release calcium that is diminished by giving them a consistent amount of calcium daily. In case that applies to my flock, I have been varying the amount of calcium I give them.

3. TwoDogFarm

Jun 16, 2014
    North Carolina

:)

What about Kale? I bought two packets of different kinds of Kale seeds to plant, although it might be a little late for it now. It seems I heard somewhere that it has a good amount of calcium and is safe for ducks. If the seeds won't work, I could try to buy some.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    A little late, as in planting season or for helping the duck? Kale can be planted most any time. It may not like a really hot season, but it can be planted in part shade and still grow okay.

I would try it. And buying one bunch of kale to see how they like it (mine prefer it either whole leaf or chopped fine) is an idea worth trying, I think.

Just watch them with the stems - I know most ducks manage just fine, but my paranoid duck mom mind is always concerned about choking. sigh.

5. TwoDogFarm

Jun 16, 2014
    North Carolina
    Oh, I meant a little late as in planting. We've never planted anything like that before but since our ducks are having calcium issues, I would like to devote an area of our garden for treats that would be good for them.

6. TwoDogFarm

Jun 16, 2014
    North Carolina
    Just trying to get an idea of what I could plant.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by