Calcium

TimDavey10

In the Brooder
Sep 23, 2018
Hi everyone I just got 2 brahma hens. They are both big happy healthy girls who are around 9 months old. We got them about a week ago and they have not layed yet. Could a calcium deficiency be the problem? They are free range and get plenty to eat from around the yard.

also low protein could be a problem
some heritage breeds need more protein. What is the protein of the feed?
some breeds start laying later.
I feed grower to everyone and always have oyster shells on the side.

also low protein could be a problem
some heritage breeds need more protein. What is the protein of the feed?
some breeds start laying later.
I feed grower to everyone and always have oyster shells on the side.
I don't give them anything special yet but will laying pellets have calcium and protein? I have fed them the occasional meat scraps and bugs I catch for them though

I don't give them anything special yet but will laying pellets have calcium and protein? I have fed them the occasional meat scraps and bugs I catch for them though
Chickens need Vitamins and minerals that they may not be finding in your yard. https://www.nap.edu/read/2114/chapter/4
Chickens on a farm can find more different foods than in someone's yard. But they usually don't produce eggs as well.
Most laying pellets have what they need... some have the minimum they need.
I always have oyster shells on the side, a bag will last you years and it's cheep

Chickens need Vitamins and minerals that they may not be finding in your yard. https://www.nap.edu/read/2114/chapter/4
Chickens on a farm can find more different foods than in someone's yard. But they usually don't produce eggs as well.
Most laying pellets have what they need... some have the minimum they need.
I always have oyster shells on the side, a bag will last you years and it's cheep
Any recommendations on laying pellet brands? My yard would also have pretty much the same nutrients as a farm. At least, a free range one. Plenty of bugs, grit, and lots of greens.

Any recommendations on laying pellet brands? My yard would also have pretty much the same nutrients as a farm. At least, a free range one. Plenty of bugs, grit, and lots of greens.
Not sure what is near you, I used to get organic mash from a mill co-op but they closed the feed division. I just started using 'prince' grower that is available in the upper midwest usa.
Some people have had problems with 'dunmore' carried by TSC
A BYCer made a spreadsheet that compares the various brands https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/poultry-feed-comparison-chart.73919/

Give them time...moving is stressful.
Changing feed can be stressful too, best not to change it again.
It can take up to a week or so for them to settle into feel safe enough to lay again.

Free ranging....they may be laying out in range area.
Are they coming back to coop to roost?
Do you have other birds?

Give them time...moving is stressful.
Changing feed can be stressful too, best not to change it again.
It can take up to a week or so for them to settle into feel safe enough to lay again.

Free ranging....they may be laying out in range area.
Are they coming back to coop to roost?
Do you have other birds?
I only have the 2 brahma hens and yes they come back to the roost at night inside the coop. They free range from around 6 30 am til 7 30 pm. Where do they like to lay eggs other than in the nesting boxes? Just in random grassy spots?

I only have the 2 brahma hens and yes they come back to the roost at night inside the coop. They free range from around 6 30 am til 7 30 pm. Where do they like to lay eggs other than in the nesting boxes? Just in random grassy spots?
I have seen stories of eggs in all kinds of crazy places.

Easiest is to lock them in coop and run for a week to 'home' them to using coop nests,
most folks do this with new birds just to home them to coop.

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for a week or so can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop and maybe run 24/7 for a few days to a week, provided you have adequate space and ventilation, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Oh, and, here some tips on how to tell.....
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Back
Top Bottom