Calf has white feces, is this coccidia? Help figuring this out....

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Pumpkinpup, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I have been treating a calf for joint ill with baytril and some asprin on days when he seems in the worst discomfort. He is now having bowl movements that are cream colored and a bit softer than they should be. I have never had this happen before. What do you think this is and how do I treat it?

2. Pumpkinpup

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Still praying someone has some experience with this and can give me some input. [​IMG]

3. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Songster

Mar 20, 2008
    I wish I could help. All I can think to do is to give it probiotics because you gave it antibiotics.

4. Pumpkinpup

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Since no one seems to know anything about this I went ahead and dosed the baby with Corid and will do so for the next 5 days as a precautionary measure. I have my fingers crossed that I have chosen a wise course of action.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

White manure in a young calf generally indicates scours which we treat with amoxicillin or sulfa boluses.

6. Pumpkinpup

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Quote:Thank you very much! I have had calves with scours but never white before. It was a puzzlement to me.
    He seems improved some as of this moning and ate well. I am continuing his treatments. I'm contemplating getting a vet to draw a sample of the joint fluid and culturing it. I feel I would have a better idea of what antibiotic to use.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by