1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Calf hut as chicken house?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by texcalkas, Mar 30, 2008.

1. texcalkas

texcalkas Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2008
    I am interested in using a calf hut or similar hoop-style building as a chicken tractor and am wondering if anyone else is doing this? My concern is will they stand up to bad Kansas weather (hail, sun, snow, wind, etc) and will they get too hot in the summer? Also, how to do nests and perches inside? I have built a chicken tractor out of wood (straight out of the book by the same name) and found it to be very bulky, hard to move, and just generally a bad place to keep poultry very long. Whatever I get to replace the discarded tractor is going to have to be easily assembled, easily moved and easily cared for.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Kimberly

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Hi Kimberly, Welcome to BYC!

Check out Moonwalkers' Hoop Coop post. I "think" it's along the same lines as the calf hut you are talking about.

Hope this is some help!

Dawn

3. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    yes a calf hutch will work for a henhouse.an it will hold up to your weather.the only thing you might want todo is anchor it down.if you get real bad winds.

4. texcalkas

texcalkas Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2008
    On the subject of wind...we had so much at 2 this morning that it turned our trampoline upside down onto my bird feeder stand (bent it all the way to the ground), smashing a stone bird bath. The trampoline mat is history too. So, whatever I finally decide on a chicken house will have to withstand the constant wind here. I'm just exploring all my options.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Welcome...It's good to have another Kansan onboard.

I tried to get a couple calf huts at an auction at one point in time, but they went for too much. I'd definately anchor it down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by