Calf mana feeding question and boss question

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Mskayladog, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Mskayladog

Mskayladog Chillin' With My Peeps

Do I just add a teaspoon to the feeder and mix it up so its blended in?
    I have researched and read but still unsure how to use it.

Those who feed boss do you also feed calf mana or would that be to much protein?

2. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    I'm not sure what feeding BOSS has to do with too much protein. Many people on here state to feed BOSS for extra protein, but in reality BOSS is only 16% protein, so it doesn't do much to "raise" the protein content.

3. Mskayladog

I guess I'm asking is it one only or both added as treat.
    And is calf manna 1 teaspoon mixed in to the feeder

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I only use Black Oil Sunflower Seed, aka BOSS, in the colder months. Treats for our birds is out dating leftovers.and occasionally a few broken up slices of a hearty bread. BOSS has a high fat content which if used as a treat in winter months keeps the birds warmer. As they can't free range up here in snow country it also gives a daily supplement of variety which they really enjoy. Just scatter a few handfuls about and they go nuts for it. Our local Agway has annual sales on 50# bags. This year it's going to be around mid to late October. A bag last our 6 to 7 birds all winter with plenty left over to plant big patches in spring. Sadly our garden was ravaged by woodchucks this year so I couldn't grow any or any squash, or any lettuce or any....dang woodchucks.

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Here is a much easier way;
    Take 9-1/2 pounds of there regular feed and add a 1/2 pound of Calf Manna.

Chris

6. Mskayladog

Thanks

7. pigeonguy

pigeonguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Northwest Illinois
    I don't know the % protein of your feed but i it is 16% well calf manna is 25% so 91/2 lbs feed + 1/2 lb calf manna = 16.45% protein. Thats not to much protein.

8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Calf Manna isn't meant to "boost" protein, it is more a vitamin and mineral supplement.

Chris

9. pigeonguy

pigeonguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Northwest Illinois
    I know but the but Mslaydog ask f it would be to much protein. So I just wanted them to know it was not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by