Calf manna? Or coincidence?

Uzuri

Songster
10 Years
Mar 25, 2009
A bit of history: since turning off the light in January, I hadn't had a day with 3 eggs. I do know that I have at least 5 of 6 who have laid at one point or another (which of my two suspected slackers is the one not laying is still not certain).

Anyway, beginning of last week I bought a bag of calf manna, mostly with the aim of getting my one SLW to quit eating feathers. The stuff smells amazing, like licorice, and the chickens seem to thoroughly enjoy it. No idea if it's made a difference with the feather eating. I haven't caught her doing it, but then I only rarely actually saw her at it anyway.

Anyhow, what's interesting to me is that after a long run of 1 egg, 2 eggs, 1 egg, and variations on that theme, I suddenly got 2, 2, 3, 3! First time ever, even with the light that I'd had a run of days that good. And this is with rotten cold weather and them refusing to come out of the coop.

So is the calf manna really having an effect on the eggs so soon? Is it just coincidence?

Or is it the fact that I complimented them on how good the french toast made with their eggs tasted yesterday?

Compliments help, but when I supplemented with Calf Manna, my egg output doubled in my lounging flock within just a few days. I went from getting 4 - 5 to getting 16 to 24... But it sure makes for stinky chicken poop if they get too much of it!!!
jumpy.gif

Yeah, back during the end of Dec. my hens went from 12 to 16 eggs a day to nothing within 2 or 3 days. I knew some were in molt but some were not, but they all had just quit. So, I went to the feed store and got some protien supplement (Nutri-boost by Lonestar) it's an equivilent to Calf-manna and within a week or so I was back in business and it also helped the molting hens get through their molt faster and get back to producing also. So yeah it's some good stuff but you don't want to use too much at a time though I rationed mine in a 2 to 1 ratio(2parts laying pellets to 1part supplement) worked out just right.

catdaddy

Quote:
Don't want to use too much at a time due to the price here! :hmm

Mine are actually probably getting about 7 to 1, since I just do it like I do the oyster shell (two scoops into the top of the feed bag, mix mix mix, squint at the bag a week later and decide if it needs two more. I'm so scientific).

I have a pen with a feather eater, and I have a sack of calf manna that needs feeding out. Thanks for the info. How much is a good idea to feed a pen with a half dozen bantam cochins in it?

The stuff smells amazing, like licorice

It's the anise oil in it. Very similar to licorice. I used to feed it to my show horses and they did great on it. I found a Calf Manna site that said for poultry to feed 5 to 10% of their ration. Think I'll get a bag for my girls!​

I was looking at feeding a bit too until I got the ingredient printout and the protien source is soy meal.
th.gif

Does your Calf Manna contain soy?

Probably. I don't worry about soy, though. I drink soy milk because I have reflux problems, so a little soy in the eggs isn't going to make much difference.

Back
Top Bottom