calf manna

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by joe17, Aug 28, 2010.

1. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    I have calf manna for my horses and it said on the bag that I can feed it to chickens. I have some silkies that are two months old and was wondering if I can feed it to them? If the pellets are too big, I will grind it up for them. I want to give them something extra!

2. VioletBlueIvy

VioletBlueIvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    I just started feeding mine Manna and BOSS about three weeks ago. I have 5 6 month olds, and several hens molting and they are really burning through their pellets.
    The BOSS I actually started with about a month ago, and just added the manna a week later. I have actually seen an increase in egg production and the size and quality of the eggs. I dont know how long it takes before you see a difference, but nothing else has changed for them so....

I just mix up 1/3 manna and 2/3 BOSS and throw it out in the yard like scratch for them. They come running to the fence in the mornings waiting for it!

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I have use Calf Manna on my adult birds but haven't tried in on bird that young.
    Just a word of advice, Calf Manna should only be feed at the rate of 5-10 percent of total ration. That would be 5-10 pound of Calf Manna to 95-90 pounds of regular feed or 5-10 cup of Calf Manna to 95-90 cups of regular feed.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by