Calf?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chickschool, Feb 6, 2012.

1. chickschool

chickschool Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Traverse City, MI
    I have a friend that has a dairy farm and has offered to allow me to raise a calf this summer along with the help of my classroom. I run an all year Montessori classroom with children ranging in age from 2.5 to 6. We already have a small flock of three hens and two ducks so I figured...what the heck. I've never done this before and I was wondering if anyone has any words of wisdom about raising a calf.

FYI, the calf will go back to the farm and I've already asked to be sure we get a female because the males...well lets just say we won't be able to go back an visit him at the farm. [​IMG]

2. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

Make sure you do your research well in advance, and get make sure to get it in the spring. Getting a winter calf, well, that could lead to some heartbroken little kids.

3. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    it really doesn't make a difference of how trained the calf is. they WILL kick and man it hurts. i think i would be iffy on getting a calf for a classroom of that young age. heck, iv'e been kicked bey a lamb smack in the middle of my face and had to get my eye stitched. trust me a cow hurts WAY worse.

4. Debbiesflocks

Debbiesflocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Washington
    Raising calves in winter is fine. But if i was the dairy man i would not donate a Valuable heifer calf to some one who is not well experienced in raising calves. I would be more apt to let you have a worthless bull calf. I would also pick a Holstein if at all possible. jersey calves go down fast and hard.

5. 1 silkie 2

1 silkie 2 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2012
    i would look out for the kids they can be very mean. but good lerning sourses

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by