Cali Gold country breeders??

greenwing8

Hatching
Apr 14, 2015
Grass valley
Hey I'm looking for some breeders or hatcheries near grass valley/ auburn area of Northern California !!! Any hits?? Thanks
1f497.png

What sort of birds are you looking for? What breeds? Do you want breeder quality or plain laying hens?

For hatcheries, there's only one CA local one I know of - Belt Hatchery down in Fresno. Great, healthy birds, but a limited selection of breeds.

As for breeders, there's a real awesome Silkie/Sizzle breeder out in Lincoln, and I know of quite a few Oriental and American Gamefowl breeders down in Sacramento. John Brekken in Loomis has Jubilee Orps, Marans, Swedish Flower hens, among other breeds I believe.

This might sound like self-advertisement but I also work at a small chicken retail store, in Placerville. We raise up pullets from various hatcheries and sell them. Not a lot of older birds right now, just the tail end of our previous batch (some mixed bantam pullets and Naked Necks) but we have plenty of 1 week old chicks left, and there's a big pullet batch coming December 16th, including Barred Rocks, New Hampshire Reds, Rhode Island Reds, Golden Laced Wyandottes, and Easter Eggers I think, among other breeds. All 8 weeks old on Dec. 16th, $14 a bird most breeds, 100% guaranteed female so if you get a roo and you don't want it you can bring it back to exchange for a female. The shop is called The Poultry Palace if you'd like to look us up. The website is a bit out of date but the phone #s and emails listed are still good.

Last edited:
Wow thanks very much for the detailed reply. I am looking for some more uncommon breeds polish, seabrite , Phoenix and americaunas being a few of them also would like some different bantam breeds. but also open to discovering some new breeds . Right now I have some reds and Delawares as my layers and a bunch of silkies as my odd ball cuties... Thanks

Wow thanks very much for the detailed reply. I am looking for some more uncommon breeds polish, seabrite , Phoenix and americaunas being a few of them also would like some different bantam breeds. but also open to discovering some new breeds . Right now I have some reds and Delawares as my layers and a bunch of silkies as my odd ball cuties... Thanks

Can't help you much with Polish or Sebrights. Ever consider something like Onagadori instead of Phoenix? Rumored to get 10-20 foot tails instead of 3-4 foot. There's a guy in Sacramento who's got em on Craigslist a lot. Never bought from him although his birds look nice, I've considered it more than a few times.

Do you mean Easter Egger or True Ameraucana? Americana/Americauna isn't a real breed, it's a hatchery misspelling, and it's synoymous with Easter Egger.

Booted Bantams are a real fun bantam breed. I know a great breeder but he's some drive away, a bit outside of San Fran. Amazing birds though. Got myself a cockerel and three hens from him and they're all excellent, beautiful colors too; two splash and two golden birchen with mottling, they were plenty worth the drive.

Ko Shamo are also awesome bantams. Size of a pigeon, attitude of an Asil, and real cuddly birds too. They fit in well with a standard flock cause they can hold their own without breaking a sweat. I have the number of a guy or two but no clue if they're selling right now. Course you go down to Sac and you'll find a dozen breeders on the way - they're gamefowl after all, and Sacramento is practically the gamefowl capital of the country. There's also Walt Leonard, breeds some of the best Kos I've ever seen, but he's pretty far away, in Santa Rosa.

Back
Top Bottom