1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Calibrating a Thermometer? LG Incubator!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Rainstorm, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Rainstorm

Rainstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    I have 3 different thermometers in my incubator and ALL of them is either 1 degree or lil more then 1/2 a degree from the others, None are even close to what the other says. Is there a way to Calibrate a Thermometer? its still air and the temp on one thermometer told me it jumped up to 103.2 once, of course it wasnt but a hour or so because i checked before, but how FAR can the temp go up before eggs are no good? or how long will it have to sit on a high temp before being bad? also what other ways is there to keep the temp stable? its fine during the day but at night it drops to 99.0 while im asleep, or goes up (trys to) to 103.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  2. Rainstorm

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    Anyone?

3. Shiningfeather

Shiningfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    hill country texas
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  4. Rainstorm

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    Quote:alright thanks! but looking at that and searching now i guess calibrating it is out of the question [​IMG] Digital battery one.

5. Shiningfeather

Feb 7, 2009
    hill country texas
    Did it not come with instructions on how to calibrate it. Most of them do.

6. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    if you have the space, try babyfood jars with water in them and tight lids to help stablize the temp.

7. Rainstorm

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    dont have the space got a turner in there, and no it didnt come with one

8. Shiningfeather

Feb 7, 2009
    hill country texas
    See if you can find the manufactures web site and see if they have anything there or a number to call and ask.

9. Intheswamp

Intheswamp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    South Alabama
    Items needed:

1: Regular, medical type thermometer (either digital or spirit-filled) that you stick under your tongue.
    2: Babyfood jar filled with water. (The lid keeps it from spilling if it gets tilted.)

Take the medical thermometer and measure some water from the faucet at around 99F degrees. Fill the babyfood jar with the water. Unless you have the incubator jam packed then you oughta be able to stick a single babyfood jar of water in there. Let it sit in the incubator for 12-24 hours along with your digital thermometer...this gives the temperature of the water *and* the digital thermometer that you want to "calibrate" a chance to stabilize.

After the time has elapsed but *before* opening the incubator, note the temperature reading on the digital thermometer that you are "calibrating". Now, open the incubator and unscrew the jar on the babyfood jar and quickly check the temperature of the water using the medical thermometer.

Compare the reading of the medical thermometer to that of the digital thermometer that you want to "calibrate". If the medical thermometer reads 99.5F and the other one reads the same then you can pretty well say the digital thermometer is reading a correct temperature. Probably, though, they will have two different readings. The medical thermometer, which should be more accurate, is your standard to measure against. If the medical thermometer reads 99.5F and the other one reads 100.2F then you know the latter one is reading too high and you need to subtract .7F from it's reading to give a more true reading....if it read 97.5F then you would then *add* two degrees to it to equal the medical thermometer. Once you figure out the difference between the two thermometers then you just have to make a "mental calibration" when you check the reading of the one left in the incubator.

Now, is that clear as mud?
    Hope it helps. I do guarantee that the info is worth exactly what you paid for it. [​IMG]
    Ed

10. Rainstorm

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    Quote:Thanks But I wont be able to try it till I get a ride into town, Dont have any of that. for now im keeping both thermometers within temp range. one at 100.5 and the other at 101.6

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by