Calibrating Thermometers... *head spin*

hokankai

Songster
10 Years
May 18, 2010
SW WA
Ok, so I have several thermometers and I need help calibrating them all. The one that I trust the most so far is my glass aquarium thermometer which reads exactly 32 degrees via the ice method. My problem is calibrating closer to 100 degrees and knowing who to trust, haha.

I have the glass aquarium thermometer which I think I can trust pretty accurately as it isn't digital.
I also have a Nexcare medical thermometer that is consistently reading my oral temperature as 97.7 degrees.
Another thermometer I have is on my therm/hygro and has no probe. This one is reading 98 degrees in the incubator and I'm thinking it's running around 2 degrees cool.
My final thermometer is still in the mail and has a digital readout and a probe.

Anyway, I just compared the aquarium and the medical using a bottle of water that is in the the incubator and the aquarium thermometer looked to be almost exactly 100 degrees, around 99.9. The medical thermometer read 98.8. Should I go with the aquarium thermometer and add 1 degree to the medical thermometer's reading? Which one should I use to calibrate the thermometer that's coming in the mail?

I have both inside of a water wiggler now and I want to see what they read. Last hatch everyone hatched on days 22 and 23 and I think it was because the temp was low. I'm really aiming for the ideal in the water wiggler of 99.5.

Ok so I think I'm covered now. With both the aquarium and the medical thermometers in the water wiggler it's clear the the medical is 1 degree lower than the aquarium. I think I'm set :p

Back
Top Bottom