Calibration Question. PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickenPeep, Oct 9, 2011.

1. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Im trying to calibrate my thermometer. On all the calibration guides it says to stick the sensor in the water. The only problem with that is... i dont know where the sensor is!! I have 2 therm's. They are both Acu-rite.
    Here are links to pics of my therm's. ( i get really tired of typing thermometer)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/413xOBLLf-L.jpg

I only have the part of this one that displays the temp.
    http://www.bing.com/shopping/acu-ri...hermometer&lpq=Acu Rite thermometer&FORM=HURE

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  2. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Sorry the second link isnt very good.

3. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA
    the sensor is inside, and you can't put that in water...

what i did for my digi-therms, i took a liquid-in-bulb type thermometer, a mercury oral thermometer, digital oral therm., and put them all in a cup of hot water, and checked to see how close they all were. the oral thermometers are supposed to be super accurate. they both read the same, and the other was within half degree. so then i just set them all on my desk, away from drafts, etc and let them settle. the digital ones were a bit off from the bulb one, so i just wrote the differences on each of the digitals with a sharpie. the digitals take a while to settle out, because the sensor is inside the case... i'd say leave them for half hour or more to see what they read.

those floaty aquarium thermometers are uusually pretty close too, and with the glass bubble around it, they don't change real fast but both the ones i bought were spot on.

i keep 3 therms. in each 'bator. digital, the one came with it, and an aquarium one. probably overkill but... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by