CALICIUM DEPOSITS ON EGGS...IS IT OK?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by da-cajun-angla, Feb 12, 2008.

1. da-cajun-angla

da-cajun-angla Songster

Jan 22, 2008
    laplace,la
    MY EE ALWAYS HAS SPECS OF CALCIUM DEPOSITS ON HER EGGS. MY DARK BRAHMA HOWEVER NEVER DOES, AND THEY BOTH EAT THE SAME THINGS. IS IT DANGEROUS, CAN I FIX IT, AND IS IT PAINFUL FOR MY GIRL TO PASS? ANY HELP APPRECIATED. I THOUGHT IT WOULD STOP BUT ITS BEEN THAT WAY FOR 2 MONTHS.
    THANKS IN ADVANCE,
    SHAUN

2. bigzio

bigzio Crowing

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I would not worry. Actually they both don't eat the same. This particular bird is eating to many oyster shells or something else that has vitamin D in it creating the pimples on the shell. The egg is fine to eat, just ones I keep for my own use, and don't sell or give away. This will pass as time goes by and everything will work out.

bigzio

3. steffpeck

steffpeck Songster

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    Can you tell me what it looks like? Thanks!

4. airmom1c05

airmom1c05 Songster

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
    Now I am totally confused. I recently read an article (one of too many lately to count) that what I had previously been calling humorously the hard little specks on Brandy's eggs that appeared only after particularly cold nights "Chill Bumps" were actually evidence of mites that got squished when the egg was laid and then adhered to the shell. Now you are telling me they might just be calcium deposits. How can you tell the difference in calcium deposits and squished, stuck mites? I thought the mite explanation made pretty good sense because they allegedly look for warmth on a chicken at night. Kind of made me sick to think of how many of those eggs we had eaten around here since I crack the shell on the side of the skillet. :eek:

5. unionwirewoman

unionwirewoman Songster

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    "Calcium" deposits are little bumps that are the same color of the egg . I get them on a few of my eggs , it's nothing to worry about .

airmom1co5.........I must have missed the thread where someone posted and told you it was squished mites . Are the bumps the same color of the egg ? If so , it's not mites, just "calcium" deposits . I'll try and see if I can find the thread .[​IMG]

6. airmom1c05

airmom1c05 Songster

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
    I may have read that from a Google search. The specks were defined as brown in color or reddish brown; the color of dried blood. Brandy's eggs are light brown or cream colored. The specks are darker than the shell on her eggs. I'll try to find the link to wherever I read that. I ususally save the best answer to my searches.

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD

Oh, I bet you're seeing calcium deposits. Squished mites they are talking about would be like if you took a fruit fly and squished it on the shell. Just check the birds under their bum fluff and wings for bugs, and if you don't see them don't worry. Calcium deposits happen and it's nothing to worry about.

8. airmom1c05

airmom1c05 Songster

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
    Thanks. You and God both agree that worrying is useless anyway! Seems the only times I'm not worrying about something is when I'm asleep which is almost impossible when I'm worrying to begin with. [​IMG]

9. da-cajun-angla

da-cajun-angla Songster

Jan 22, 2008
    laplace,la
    thanxxx for all the info...its just that their is a good amount of calcium deposits on the eggs...it looks like it would be uncomfortable to pass...lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: