Calif. Bay Area rain just rattling away

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by GarlicEater, Mar 20, 2011.

1. GarlicEater

GarlicEater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Gilroy, CA
    Wow this rain is something. I have a ghetto-fabulous corrugated tin roof put on my trailer and a couple of windows that are taped-on plastic (which I remove for summer to let the wind through) and the rain is really drumming away. What a great sound!

I put a roof made of the same stuff on my coop, I hope my gals can sleep OK with the sound!

2. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    wow, its supposed to get here tomorrow afternoon [​IMG]

3. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    My girls are 6 1/2 and 7 weeks old, and they haven't gone out yet because of the danged rain. Our yard is a huge muck pit. Normally they're curled up and asleep by now, but because of the loud wind, they're running around like it is morning.

I'm in Sacramento and it sounds like a freight train every few minutes or so. I hear cracking here and there...hope the neighbor's don't wake up with trees in their cars or houses.

The one thing I can't complain about is that we are officially OUT of a drought. We normally get 15 or so inches. Check out some of the rainfall totals: http://www.sacflood.org/sensdata/raingrp.htm

4. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Need a pair of vintage trailer windows? the kind that crank out and have screen?

Got a pair of them looking for a new home

5. classicsredone

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    I think we're losing our fence....needed to be replaced, but I didn't want to be forced to do it. [​IMG]

6. GarlicEater

Feb 23, 2011
    Gilroy, CA
    This place isn't worth putting any new windows on.

I only have one small leak, tiny really, and in a place where it doesn't bother much, since I hammered in a nail to hang up my dirty laundry bag, and learned not to hang a rifle case right there.

Supposed to be high winds tomorrow, we have trees that are GOING to come down, tomorrow may be the "lucky" day.

I'm really happy about my coop, the roof is good, keeps the gals pretty nice and dry. A combination of the walled-in area, and the trees and my place and other wind breaks means wind's not a huge problem. That keeps rain from blowing in very much.

This trailer was supposed to be temporary but it's been a bit over 2 years now. I eventually need to build something better for myself.

What a great sound though! I should go to bed and listen to KABC for the weather/traffic reports and then Zzzzz.....

7. classicsredone

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    Hopefully you'll keep power all night. The gusts are up around 50-60 mph. I was just out there to check on the fence...it didn't survive. Something in the neighbor's yard is making a loud THWACK with each gust. It needs to stop...now. I need some sleep.

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I think the reason I slept all day (yup, til noon, got up once, then fell back asleep until 4:30 pm and I don't work shift work..) was to stay awake tonight through all this wind. It's BAD. Has been raining all day, sometimes in huge deluges. COLD rain.

9. GarlicEater

Feb 23, 2011
    Gilroy, CA
    Wow. Well, no trees can fall on ME .... it might kick the greenhouse's ass but been there, done that, have nails with rubber gaskets I made all ready to repair it with (again). If this one tree goes down it will go in some interesting direction (hopefully not on the greenhouse!) and we'll saw it up.

10. classicsredone

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    Btw, what is normal chicken behavior during storms like this? My girls were preening, and then when it got bad, they were puffed up like they were waiting for an invasion. We turned on the radio in hopes that it'll settle them down a little. They're still pretty young at 7 weeks, so this is their first big storm. They are in their ark in the garage, so while they're dry and protected, the wind is a little loud.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by