Californain Quail questions?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Pheasant283, May 12, 2011.

1. Pheasant283

Pheasant283 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2011
    SD
    Have to opportunity to get some Californian Quail eggs this weekend. They look like a neat bird. I have raised bobwhites before about 5 yrs ago but never californians. Can the CA's co-exisit with other species of quail in a pen? Also what is better to raise them in a cage or a pen? Any and all info. would be appriciated.

2. Little_Bigfoot

Little_Bigfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    Washington
    cages are fine, the bigger the better with valleys, the guy i bought mine from had them with bobs in an avary setting but i wouldnt.

3. DuranAndy

DuranAndy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Utah
    They will breed and live better if you have them in a pen instead of a cage. The bigger the better!
    I have my valleys with bobs and they do great together, but they are in a huge aviary.

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Large quail should be kept in the largest environment that you can give them. Cages are way to small for CA's Mnts' or Bobwhites. I keep my Bobwhites in large aviary setting and they have a lot of room to move and breed. Quail like brush piles to hide under as they would in the wild. So if you can give them huge space, do it. It is better for their physical and mental state. [​IMG]

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Valleys And Bobs Will Interbreed If Not Seperated

Valleys Do Exceptionally Well In Raised Cages, In Fact They Can Be Easier To Keep Than Bobs (less Agression To Roommates) All New World Quail Are Skittish And Spastic By Nature, But Bobs Have That Lil Junk Yard Dog Attitude And Use It Readily Upon Each Other... Valleys Are More Peaceful Roommates

6. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Quote:Now thats new information right there. I have never even saw a valley in person, but figured they were even more spooky and aggressive than bobs... Dont know how I got that idea now.... Aw hell, Now I need to build another pen.... [​IMG] Bill

7. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:Now thats new information right there. I have never even saw a valley in person, but figured they were even more spooky and aggressive than bobs... Dont know how I got that idea now.... Aw hell, Now I need to build another pen.... [​IMG] Bill

A breeder close to me keeps trios of valleys in 2' tall 3'wide and 3'deep pens ,cages whatever you want to call them if you move slowly and not sudden valleys and gamble are more laid back then bobs they seem to spook if they do not know someone or if something new happens

8. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL

SPOOKY ? YES. AT LEAST IN MY CASE THEY ARE EASIER TO FREAK OUT THAN MY BOBS... BUT MUCH LESS AGRESSIVE TOWARDS EACH OTHER AND YOU.

VERY COOL LIL BIRDS... HAVE SOME REALLY NEAT VOCALIZATIONS

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by