California Bay Area chicken cooperative?

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by chickensearcher, Nov 1, 2009.

1. chickensearcher

chickensearcher New Egg

Nov 1, 2009
    Berkeley
    Hello, I just joined this forum today! I live in Berkeley, CA and would like to have chickens but, being an apartment dweller, do not have a backyard to raise them in. I'm hoping to find someone in the area who has backyard chickens and would like to have some kind of chicken cooperative... I would help pay for/take care of the chickens in exchange for eggs... or at the very least, someone in the area who would like to sell me their homegrown eggs. Any ideas or directions would be much appreciated! Thanks!

2. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    I am in Missouri so I can not be of much help. But, I wanted to say [​IMG]

3. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Welcome to the forum as well....Why don't your try posting this over in the section for California folks as well. I'll try to find that post for you and you might get some resources. Love those chickies and welcome to BYC from sunny Georgia!

I'm hoping Nifty will see this and give you some pointers as he's a Californian.

Thanks and have a blessed day!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  4. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Hi chickensearcher, welcome to BYC!

Berkeley and surrounding areas are full of chicken enthusiasts. If I were you, I'd do the following:

1) Say hello in some of the NorCal threads, for example: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=25

2)
    Search local craigslist for peeps that are offering fresh eggs around you or even post that you're looking for fresh eggs.

3) Keep an eye out for information on local chickenstocks (meetups)

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by