California Central Valley

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Afghantzi, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Afghantzi

Afghantzi Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2011
    Good morning all !

Call me Afi or Robb .

I've been lurking for a couple of months and have been using this site like a how-to manual.

I was brand new to poultry rearing last Spring but have did a great deal of research (print and internet) and jumped into it with both feet. I built a nice coop, which I'm very proud of and brought home three RI reds, three leghorns, three cornish X's, and two turkeys. I just slaughtered the meaties two weeks ago. The meat was so good that I decided that I'm sticking with this "past time" .. I have another dozen broilers coming in tomorrow !

There has been a learning curve. I lost two of my reds to them flipping an empty plastic food bowl on top of themselves.. The first time I thought it was a freak accident. The second time that it happened, I built a squared wooden feeder. I lost a leghorn to unknown causes. The two white turkeys I lost to dog attack when they were free ranging. I've since built a large enclosed turkey pen. I'm also researching how to prepare dog for Thanksgiving feast. [​IMG]

A little personal info.. My wife and I are both disabled vets. I work and she goes to school. The birds have been pretty therapeutic in the form of work and goal setting. It gives me a reason to get out of bed on the weekends. We have a boy together who will be a year old next month and look forward to getting him into the activity. I also have an 11 year old from my previous marriage. I just bought him a couple of fancy birds, a polish and a silkie that he is helping to raise. I don't think he is ready for the whole slaughter experience.

Though I certainly enjoy the meat and will enjoy the eggs, I must say that I enjoy working with the turkeys the most. They seem to have a little more personality. I hope that doesn't start a fight, like a dog person arguing with a cat person. [​IMG]

I enjoy the atmosphere on internet forums and know the etiquette pretty well. I'll more than likely be an active participant in discussions. It's a relief to see a forum devoid of political and religious tangents. My compliments to the moderators.!

Take care

2. Unclebean

Unclebean Rest in Peace 1977-2013

Jun 10, 2010
    Tower City, PA
    [​IMG] from Pennsylvania! Glad you joined!

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    [​IMG] Hello Afi/Robb and welcome to BYC! I completely undersand how the birds are therapeutic. I broke my neck 3 years ago playing with my children and permanenty damaged my spinal cord. Having the chickens has really changed my life and made me a much happier person. I have something to look forward to everyday, plus they keep me busy with the chicken chores. [​IMG] It's nice to meet you.

4. alabamayardbird

alabamayardbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Winfield, AL
    [​IMG] from alabamayardbird

5. Afghantzi

Afghantzi Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2011
    Thanks for the welcome everyone ..

Quote:Nicole, you have some tough kids ! [​IMG]
    My girlfriend and I both have SI in the lower back.. Mine is L4-S1 .. Hers was more serious than mine. But mine is complicated by age [ouch] .

I'm going to try hatching next year and see how that goes.. I'll either buy a used (aka cheap) bator or make a homemade.. If I enjoy the experience, I'll buy a good one. I've been getting some great ideas off of this forum.

6. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

8. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k