California chicken enthusiests.. where do you get your birds?

melalthia

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 9, 2008
Boulder Creek, CA.
Hi y'all and especially Californians....

Barring the big hatcheries, where and how do you get your birds? Do you know local breeders? Do wait until the poultry shows? I'm new to chickens and I'm really interested in networking and purchasing some show-quality layers to fill up my flock. Is it just me and my poor researching skills.. or is California pretty bare of breeders? I've been trying to contact people through breed clubs and I'm not having much luck. So how do you do it?

Also , if you are a breeder in California, could you give a shout out and also list the breeds you specialize in? I'd like to compile a list of California breeders for the Californian BYC people.

Thanks!

(I've also posted this topic on the buy/sell and trade forum so moderator, if I've done a no no by posing in two places.. please forgive me. I was not sure where I should post this.)

Hi Mel,

I've gotten chickens from this lady. They weren't cheap but she tries to keep show quality stock. She's in Norco.

http://www.hamandeggsranch.com/live/main/index.html

Welcome to BYC. Hope you have many happy hours reading the posts
frow.gif

Quote:
Having trouble finding this group ....
is that the actual name "California Chickens" ???

lee

Sorry for my impatience ....
I found it .... just took a bit of scrolling thru 500 possibilities....

it is called 'CaliforniaChickens" ...... all one word.

Thanks to Skeeter9 for the info ....

Lee

For cheap birds, definately check on craigslist! I usually buy hatching eggs, hatch them, keep a few, then sell the rest on craigslist. Also, there are a lot of people who are willing to hatch eggs for you so you don't have to buy a whole incubator/set-up. Feel free to contact me if you need help finding birds
smile.png

I'm in Southern Cali and I have
Production RIR
Showgirls
Silkies
BC Marans
Possibly Blue Turkens if they hatch.

Chef

Back
Top Bottom