California Coop Concerns

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by vckums, Apr 18, 2009.

1. vckums

vckums Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2009
    California
    Hi all, newbie here! Hubby and I have a few questions on a coop.

Hubby wants to compost the chicken poop for our garden. However we are unsure of how to do the floor for the coop. Do we have to have a raised floor? Can the coop be on the ground?

Are there any members from California who have pictures of their coops to share? I'm concerned about rain and winter. We don't get snow, but it can get to about 30 degrees. Will the chickens be too cold?

Sorry for all the questions.

Vicki & Scott

2. bumpershoot

bumpershoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Where in Ca are you? I lived in Santa Cruz and the mountains for years. Mud would be my main concern.

3. Eggie and Me

Eggie and Me Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Southern California
    Hi, fella newbie here also. We live in So. Cal. Our coop is off the ground with a combo of cement and grass/dirt. We also have a 1/4" square floor for them to walk on while going up to their nesting/future nesting boxes. Well that is IF they like our ideas??[​IMG] We also have/when finished a fenced in yard, just for the girls that also is covered on the top to protect against cats, etc. Hope this is a little help. Check out other coops, it helped us so much. Good luck [​IMG]

4. vckums

Apr 18, 2009
    California
    I'm in the East Bay near SF/Oakland.

I am concerned about mud and rain. I'd want an open coop for the summers, it can get over 100 here. But also want something to attach in the winter to keep rain and cold out.

I've been browsing the photos here, they are all so pretty! Ours will be mainly wire. The nesting box is going to be an old rabbit hutch. Hubby sketched out a design to add a run to it.

I'm still sort of nervous about doing this. I'd hate to make something not right for them.

5. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    Hi Vicki and Scott,
    Mike and I built our coop here in SoCal last year. We are very happy with the design. You can click on the link to my page and take a look at it, or go to the coop page, it's the first small coop.

We use the poop in the compost pile too.

I think the easiest thing is to have access to the area below the roost where they poop without stooping over. I open the door and scoop it out with a kitty-litter scooper and a dustpan and put it into the compost each morning. The coop stays clean and so do the chickens!

The chickens were fine all winter. The main issue for us is keeping them cool in the summer.

6. vckums

Apr 18, 2009
    California
    I just saw your pics. It's BEAUTIFUL!

Do I need to do anything inside the rabbit hutch? Add roosts? Or do the roosts just go outside in the run? I am so sorry for all the questions, just getting confused.

7. echlfan

echlfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Fresno, California
    We are in Fresno, you can look at my page. Lots of ventilation & raised floor.

8. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    Im in Kansas but I would say sand works pretty well for the run

9. espressola

espressola Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2009
    River Pines, CA
    We live in the Sacramento area- foothills nr Placerville. We are building our new coop up off the ground for two reasons- being able to police predators that might try to dig in, and shade/cover underneath in hot weather/rain. I guess mud too... We are planning to try the deep litter method in the new coop, but you must age that a bit before putting it on plants..
    Patty N.

10. Dr.Doorlock

Dr.Doorlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Garland, Texas
    Take a look at what I built. The bottom slides out for easy cleaning and the big doors on each side make it even easier. Pine shavings will keep them warm, but for realy cold nights you may want a red brooder lamp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by