California Coop. Not very traditional, but its working. PICS

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by G Wiz Ranch, Jan 20, 2009.

1. G Wiz Ranch

G Wiz Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Lompoc, CA
    I thought that I would share this with you. Ok, so I live on the central coast of California, where we live it never snows and is seldom under 35F and almost never over 95f. When I decided to build a coop, I did a lot of reading and searching the net. I ended up turning to a coop design that was used on a ranch not far from mine, I brought it home thinking I would rebuild it. The coop I copied was built in the 30's or 40's (see photo when you click on this link) . The main reason I went with this design was maintenance. The poop just falls through the floor to the ground. When the girls are away, I spread pool grade DE and construction grade lime on the poop, add a little bit of water to help the poop compost and for smell. When It builds up, I add it to my compost pile (thank you donkeys) and let it compost some more.

The build was easy, it is 8ft x 8ft with a 45deg slope. I have 12 nesting boxes and based on the linear feet of roosts, it can handle 48 hens. It is in the shade all day all year. There is 6 feet of food troughs and 1 automatic water trough (upgrade since pics). I have three windows that are screened that I can control how much they are open. There is two vents at the peaks(upgrade since pics). I installed a light on a timer and a heat lamp on a thermostat that comes on at 40F. To clean, I can remove all the nesting boxes, both feeders and I pressure wash the roosts and screen floor. The bottom door opens into a completely enclosed yard (net added after pics) that is 16ft x 48ft. On days that we are not home they stay in their yard. When I am home, I have electric net fencing (keep predators out) and they free range what ever area I have them set up at. I have enough fencing to create a "hallway" from their main yard to the temp yard that is usually 320ft perimeter. They make their way back to the coop at night and I close them in. The top door is for future use when I have the courage to let them free range everyday without the fencing or netting.

Click here for more photos.

Tell me what you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    [​IMG] That's a nice coop!

3. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    Wow! That is a real nice design. I like that the poop falls out under neath. I'll have to show it to my SO, maybe we can build it for our chicken's summer house. We finished the main hen house last spring. We want to build another smaller house on the other side of the property, so the chickens can live in the cooler area of the field in the summer.

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Very nice [​IMG]

It would never work for me....

one it gets too cold and worse...the predators that stroll through here would eat every chicken I had.

5. sillybirds

sillybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    California
    Nice coop! It has wonderful ventilation.

6. mainchick

mainchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    sweet! I love Lompoc and that whole area of the Santa Ynez valley!!

7. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    Just a question about the DE, why do you use pool grade instead of food grade? Is the poop in an area that your birds can't get to?

8. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    what an interesting design, I really like it. Very original.

9. chicken_ladyGA

chicken_ladyGA Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2008
    Chatsworth,Georgia
    Is this pool grade De not dangerous for your birds ? I was told to never use it !

10. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I love where you live! I am so tempted to move there but well, I am too southern to move. However, your area is fabulous.

Great coop. Very good design. I love to take bits and pieces from others ideas and work it into mine for a coop. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by