California Cornish Cross?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by tater1961, Feb 4, 2013.

1. tater1961

tater1961 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2012
    JOCO, KS
    These birds showed up on KC craigslist today. They come from a place with web addy of eastcountyzoo.com. Little rich for my blood. Has anybody heard of these birds or this hatchery?

2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Never heard of them or CA cornish cross. The website is kind of thrown together and their prices are CRAZY. It doesn't say that they ship so they could just do pick ups. They may just order from a hatchery and resell.

There is a place north of me that does that. Gets female chicks of various breeds and resells for $5 a chick. It is cheaper for many people that want just a few chicks and don't want to deal with shipping.

Some of the hatcheries are selling red and black broilers but I can't remember where I've seen them. There are also slow grow cornish out there somewhere.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Yeah...looks little shady to me. The pics they had on the website of the mature birds looked kind of like Freedom Rangers. Not sure where there "Cornish Cross" comes from. And at $8 per chick! C'mom - really?

4. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Welp Hatchery sells the red and black broilers as well as a "slow white", regular cornish cross and red rangers

5. skookumchuck

skookumchuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2012
    Jefferson City, MO
    I called the guy and he was just getting into selling the chicks. I was told they were developed by a chicken farmer in AZ and he grows them out for sale to resturant customers in Cali. I think they are over priced but he thinks they are the best chickens around. I think they are just red and black boilers truth be told.

6. EastCountyZoo

EastCountyZoo New Egg

Feb 26, 2013
    San Diego, CA
    Hi

CA Cornish Cross. Different and Distinct.

Yes, I am selling a private breed of Cornish cross from a closed to the public hatchery to those that want a healthy meat chicken compared to that of a normal Cornish. Just getting started. First year for this breed selling online for quite awhile. The breed is selectively bred in Red and Black, whites are coming soon.

I am open to suggestions on pricing. The higher price is set for local buyers. The breeder doesn't want to supply local competition as they have been very happy supplying CA markets and restaurants.

The lower prices are set with FREE SHIPPING and more optional FREEBIES.

The website is a work in progress. Please bare with me...

If you have any questions what so ever please feel free to contact me as this breed has not been available to the public backyard chickener for many years.

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions...

Thank you,
    Aaron

7. EastCountyZoo

EastCountyZoo New Egg

Feb 26, 2013
    San Diego, CA

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2013
  8. EastCountyZoo

EastCountyZoo New Egg

Feb 26, 2013
    San Diego, CA
    Not shady at all.. $8 was a local ad, forget what age they were.

9. EastCountyZoo

EastCountyZoo New Egg

Feb 26, 2013
    San Diego, CA
    Yes- I am just getting started selling this breed. Has been closed to the public. Developed by a private breeder 3rd generation. Breeding facility in NM as they do great in higher climates. Hatchery in CA. 36k+ chicks weekly, this is no backyard farmer... Working on a comfortable price range as the price includes shipping with optional vacc, and debeaking. Open to suggestions

Thank you
    Aaron

10. enel 1

enel 1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    eastern washington
    What kind of growth rate? Are they comparable to the cobb or ross birds or closer to the colored rangers?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by