California Grey = Production Black= Barred Leghorn? I'm confused??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Ms. Cluckingly, May 13, 2010.

1. Ms. Cluckingly

Ms. Cluckingly Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2009
    Colorado Springs, CO
    So I just got back from the feed store and I fell in love. [​IMG] I only got two though. lol I got a Golden laced Wyandotte and what they called a "california grey". WHAT is a california grey? I can't find anything really about them online, and another thread here said that they were production blacks and then someone said that they weren't production blacks but barred leghorns? I'm so confused. Any advice?

2. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    A California Grey is a cross between a Leghorn x Barred Plymouth Rock. It's suppose to be a great white egg layer.

3. Ms. Cluckingly

Ms. Cluckingly Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2009
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Thanks so much!! [​IMG]

4. oldtimeway

oldtimeway Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2010
    midwest
    Incorrect!

A California Grey is a true breed unto itself devoloped using leghorns and plymouth rocks about seventy years ago. It waos developed by the Dryden Poultry Experiment Farm of Modesto, Calif. Prof. Dryden was originally a prof of poultry at Ore. State but bought his own poultry farm where he and his son developed top notch white leghorns and the California Grey.

5. danhonour

danhonour Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2010
    Dutchess County,NY
    The California Gray(cuckoo colored) is a breed, and when the Gray male is crossed with a White Leghorn hen the f1 are called california white hybrids,I think the chicks might be sexlinked due to barring/cuckoo gene.

6. Koturnix_AW

Koturnix_AW Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2010
    Where can i buy some?

7. Chicken116

Chicken116 New Egg

Nov 23, 2012
    It seems I have a family link to James Dryden and next year, when I can finally get some chickens...is there anyone who sells direct Dryden lines or are the current California Greys/Grays I've seen at a few hatcheries and farms just ones that they have recreated with the same breeding? I am curious and I'd love to have some great-great grand relative derived chickens!

Thanks if anyone can give info :)

Cathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by