1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

California Hatchery

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by yoie, Feb 3, 2012.

1. yoie

yoie Chillin' With My Peeps

Has anyone ordered from them before? I have searched on here and haven't found much about them [​IMG]. They seem similar to My Pet Chicken, where they drop ship but they have chickens, ducks, turkeys, and geese.

2. pawtraitart

pawtraitart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2007
    Idaho
    They are seriously over priced IMHO.

1 person likes this.
  3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    2x

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    They are also thieves. They are using photos of my Welsh Harlequin ducks without my permission. The really funny thing is the two hens featured are poor examples of what a Welsh Harlequin should look like. I do not use Wendy (the darker hen) for breeding. The other hen was eaten by a hawk, but I wouldn't have used her for breeding either. Both of them came from Metzer.

The other photo of mine is of a young drake from HOLDERREADS! He was a good breeder and a gorgeous boy when he feathered out, but he was NOT any of THEIR breeding stock.

I was going to call them and chew them out, but they don't even have a phone number. I emailed them giving them my stock photo rates and told them to pay up or take the photos down.

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/5151/picture4zr.png

The only image not mine is the one with the white background. That one looks suspiciously like one from a different hatchery I saw last year. Can't remember which one though.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  5. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Just got a reply from the company... "We have removed all welsh harlequin photos that were not exclusively owned by us. If you have any welsh harlequin photos of the duck on a white background image we would consider purchasing them for $25. "

My photos are down and I am satisfied.

1 person likes this.
  6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    $25 dollars, are you kidding me? Maybe around a 100 ducklings would pay for the photos LOL!

7. shadow rabbit10

shadow rabbit10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2012
    New Jersey
    Their photos are all wrong. They were using a picture of two Sebrights to show Quail Antwerp Belgians! They are also crazy expensive![​IMG]

8. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    If you were really a breeder selling quality ducks, why would you settle for stock photography of someone's random ducks?

Something seriously wrong here.

9. brewmonkey

brewmonkey Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2011
    Hesperia
    I just came across them as well and was wondering about the same thing.
    Thanks for the input, I am not liking the fact that there is no address or phone number it makes me a little nervous.
    I wonder if anyone has had positive experience with them.

10. Joe.G

Joe.G Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    I had spoken to them by email a few times and they were very short with me, I had asked about a contact number and they said they were in the middle of changeing there number and don't have one at this time. I got a weird feeling so i didn't order from them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by