CALIFORNIA in January?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Animalian, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    Hello I am bouncing off the walls with excitement at the moment because I've been accepted into a conservation/environmental training program in California!

It's in January next year and I was wondering what the weather is like at that time? I know it's a long time till I go, but I wanna plan and I can buy winter stuff cheaply now hear in Aus because it just finished!

Gonna be working on salmon habitat restoration on the Russian River, Eel River, and the Navarro River, and restoring tracks and building bridges in Ukiah. Also on the Santa Monica Mountains to restore native vegetation (going to be so weird pulling out Aussie plants!) and working on a fisheries project for the Department of Fish and Game.

I'll also get to go on trips to the Mendocino County coast, the Redwood Forest, San Francisco and the Bay Area, Sonoma and Napa Valley’s, Universal Studios, Magic Mountain, Disneyland, Knots Berry Farm, Venice Beach, Santa Barbara, Hollywood, The Getty Museum, The Getty Villa, The Queen Mary, Ventura County Harvest Festival!

But yes... WOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![​IMG]

...weather? heh

2. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Congrats! [​IMG]

I have no idea how to answer your question, I live on the East Coast, but I wanted to say congrats and welcome to the US -soon anyway!

3. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Having some heavier winter wear and boots & also some warm but lighter layers would probably be a good thing, along with some rain gear, since it sounds like you'll be in a range of cold to milder winter temps. Even more so if you'll be in the elements at night in the colder areas. It's easier to take a layer off than to wish one had another warm/waterproof layer. [​IMG] Congrats on your upcoming trip!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  4. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    I'm in the Bay Area, so we get nice mild weather. Depending on where you'll be, you could get snow, rain, hail, lots of cool stuff. [​IMG]

Sounds like you need to be dressing warm, though--it sure does get cold sometimes!

5. kareninthesun

kareninthesun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Congrats ! As for Disneyland and Knotts, I'd.suggest layering down to summer wear. Both places have lockers to keep stuff you don't want to lug around. Sometimes.it is downright hot, but some January are cold and blustery . Can't always predict it. Also would highly recommend a cheap fold up hooded poncho and waterproof or sandals for knots because they have somean awesome ride there.with rapids and you Will get soaked. Even during winter, so a towel and other clothes are recommended.

6. Carols Clucks

Carols Clucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Hate to say it, but you are going to need all kinds of stuff!

North Coast is probably going to be cold, windy and damp. But remember layers layers layers! (if you get a couple of days off take the bus and visit Yosemite) And if you don't get enough of the mighty redwoods, visit Muir Redwoods too.

Santa Monica should be much nicer, probably cold at night-might even have a frost warning! Maybe some rain and nice mid day. We usually do not get fog in the winter around here, but if the marine layer comes in-it seems to creep in your layers of clothes.

Let me know if you need more ideas of places to go and things to see!

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Yeah you are gonna need a bit of everything. The places you are going all have varying weather. So prepare for snow and hot weather.

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

The thing about California is that is has some of everything: deep forests, high mountains, arid deserts, rocky coastlines, metropolitan cities, little burgs and everything in between, heavy agricultural farming areas, marshes, rivers, lakes, vast expanses of open fields, or rocky high country, EVERYTHING. Lots and lots of highways, many more rural county roads, slews of citified streets.

And the weather is different in each location. HOT HOT HOT in the Central Valley, cool and misty along the northern coast, sunny & warm along the southern coast (the state is 1,000 miles long from north to south), mild weather in many locations, more severe weather in others.

9. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    Thanks guys

YAY snow! [​IMG]

haven't seen that since I was in Connecticut two years ago!

Carols Clucks - We are going to go hiking in Yosemite too [​IMG] and will be seeing the redwoods! Don't know how I missed that making this post....

I'm used to working out in the bush, rain hail or shine, most of the time wearing waders and waist deep in in icy water! So I have a lot of compact "oudoorsy" gear anyway because I'd have to take it to work everyday! I have plenty of thermals and other light yet warm clothes, and a sturdy waterproof coat and pants that roll up to be pocket size! Rain cover for my little backpack. I have heavy steel cap boots and almost-totally-broken-in trekking boots (after trekking through Tasmania for two weeks), still deciding which to wear, I only ever take one set of proper shoes and a pair of sandals traveling.

Looks like I'll have to buy myself a better, warmer coat then... Don't need them here! Hot weather clothes will be wasy enough, they don't take up too much room. We do get given a uniform to work in while over there so I shouldn't have to pack too much, just weekend/night time clothes really. Which is lucky for my 65L backpack considering it will have to hold all my souveniers coming back too!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Zinnia-Hen

Zinnia-Hen Live & Let Live

Jan 29, 2011
    The weather REALLY varies in California, most of it isn't like you see in the movies. When in the northern part it can get fairly cold, so I recommend wearing something warm.

As for going to the Bay Area, I used to live there for most of my life. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by