California Proposition 2

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Crowing
16 Years
Nov 26, 2007
East of There, West of There
I didn't want to further hi-jack the trhead about the Idiot throwing chickens so I started a new one to encourage Californians on this board to vote NO on Proposition 2 this November.

The proposition proposes standards for the confinement of livestock including chickens, hogs, and calves and would make the use of battery cages, veal stalls, and gestation/lactation crated for sows illegal. Researchers at UC-Davis feel that passing the Proposition would eliminate egg production from California's Agriculture and force the citizens of California to rely on imports, both domestic and foreign, for their egg needs.

The following statement by the AVMA falls inline with my thoughts on the Proposition:

"Proposition 2 may have negative impacts on animals, consumers and the industry if it's passed," explains Dr. David McCrystle, AVMA Executive Board chair. "We fully agree that more attention needs to be paid to the behavioral and social needs of food animals, and Proposition 2 is laudable in that it attempts to address these needs, but the standards in this ballot initiative fall short in improving animal welfare because they fail to adequately consider other factors. Animal welfare is a complex issue and demands that decisions be based on science, tempered with compassion, and take into account all aspects of welfare. Changing housing standards without consideration of how this may affect other aspects of animal welfare, such as protection from disease and injury, will not be in the animals' or society's best interest."

So Californian's VOTE NO on Proposition 2 this November.

Jim

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Researchers at UC-Davis feel that passing the Proposition would eliminate egg production from California's Agriculture and force the citizens of California to rely on imports, both domestic and foreign, for their egg needs.

"If that were true, egg producers from New Hampshire to Iowa to Mississippi wouldn't be giving money to oppose it. Rather, they would be chomping at the bit to take over the California market."

http://www.politickerca.com/hsushea...factory-farms-pour-money-anti-prop-2-campaign

Last edited:
I know there were two long threads that were closed on this, and so I'm playing with fire here, but I'm going to pull this back up and ask some very honest questions.

I keep chickens and I am confident that my husbandry is within the new law, and that I don't have a desire to keep them in tighter quarters. For that matter, I think it's unlikely that anyone would ever come to check on them due to this proposition anyway. (I'm more worried about NAIS, but that's another show.)

I am not happy with battery cages. I think they are too tight.

I rather like the way this proposition was drafted. The language is short and concise, unusual for a California ballot measure. The amount of space is based on the size of the chicken, not some arbitrary square footage.

These cages are already slated to be banned in the EU in 2012. Is their ban written differently in some significant way?

I think the whole situation was handled badly by the Farm Bureau and by the No on 8 side. I hope that whatever happens that both sides can come together to market the superiority of California eggs in terms of freshness, cleanliness, AND humane treatment, that eggs should not be seen as a generic buy.

I am not convinced that eggs produced in battery cages in Arkansas are going to be all that much cheaper with diesel at $5 a gallon. (Yes, I know fuel prices have fallen - because demand has fallen - but I think it's wise to assume it's a temporary reprieve.)

I think California egg producers CAN work within these rules and can be profitable. Yes, they will have to change their business practices.

I would appreciate some comments on my thoughts. I've got another day and a half to make up my mind.

Quote:
"If that were true, egg producers from New Hampshire to Iowa to Mississippi wouldn't be giving money to oppose it. Rather, they would be chomping at the bit to take over the California market."

http://www.politickerca.com/hsushea...factory-farms-pour-money-anti-prop-2-campaign

I think that they would oppose it because if it passes in California it would set a precedence and they would be next.

Perhaps New Hampshire, but it seems unlikely that such a law would pass in Mississippi.

I definitely think "eliminate" is a significant exaggeration. My supermarkets, even up here in the sticks, are full of premium California eggs selling as high as $4.50 a dozen, about 2 1/2 times the cost of the cheapest eggs. Those producers seem to be doing a booming business.

Last edited:
Since this topic has blown up twice on this forum already I will here and now issue a prewarning to ANYONE that trolls or otherwise breaks a rule on this thread. Banned banned banned is all I will say.

Well today is the day. It will be interesting to see if the people of California believe the sesationalized rhetoric of the Holltywood "elite" and the AR groups,, or if the believe the science and facts brought forth by the AVMA and other.

I hope it fails, but knowing lack of critical thinking skills of the American Public I am not hopeful.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom