California quail baby and Coturnix babies- can they be raised together?

Jun 28, 2021
Broadview MT
I was given a rescued newborn hatchling California quail. A neighbor kid watched it hatch and waited over an hour with no other hatchlings and no mom. They brought it to me as dark approached and it wouldn't make the night. I have 110 coturnix quail due to hatch out in the next two to three days. The Cali quail is now 4 days old. Can they be raised together? The Cali quail will be going to live with another who raises other Cali once its old enough to transport (he lives 3 hours from me) but I don't have enough brooders and the poor chick is soo lonely, even with a stuffy in the brooder. I heard that coturnix quail babies will kill the California quail baby. Any help would be appreciated! Picture of said baby when it first showed up.

Attachments

• 20210623_101031.jpg
    20210623_101031.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 72
It's probably fine to put it in with the young coturnix as a temporary thing. It's not likely to have any diseases since it's been in care since it was hatched, but it might have parasites, so there is some risk. You might put it in with just 2 or 3 of your coturnix chicks to minimize the risk and still give it some company.

Since it's a bit older, you will want to keep an eye open in case it decides to bully the younger chicks.

We had a lone CA Valley quail chick twice now. We've tried putting them with coturnix chicks, chicken chicks, a peacock chick, an adult coturnix, and adult Gamble. Nothing worked and they all had to be separated to maintain peace. They seemed to do fine by themselves though. They were very active, jumping from perch to perch, but not noticeably neurotic.

Back
Top Bottom