California Quail Celling Height HELP!

Emerson DeCurtins

In the Brooder
Aug 6, 2022
Hey, I am about to pick up a few California Quail hens. Do they dart straight up like other quail? I am wondering if a 22 inch roof is to tall for them… I am in the process of building a 7 ft high coop, but it is not done yet. Also if you have owned California Quail before drop any other tips for me about them!

Unless you are specifically getting calm birds, your birds will likely be very skittish. If skittish, yes, they'll dart straight up and there will be lots of pacing back and forth.

Unless you are specifically getting calm birds, your birds will likely be very skittish. If skittish, yes, they'll dart straight up and there will be lots of pacing back and forth.
How much shorter than 22in would you recommend for the ceiling? Thank you.

We keep ours with 36 inches of head space and LOTS of perches. They use every bit of it too and spend a lot of time up off the ground.. They're hyperactive.

Why do you want to decrease the head space? They don't bounce off the ceiling if that's the concern.

We keep ours with 36 inches of head space and LOTS of perches. They use every bit of it too and spend a lot of time up off the ground.. They're hyperactive.

Why do you want to decrease the head space? They don't bounce off the ceiling if that's the concern.
Perches? Quail are ground birds. I know that buttons and coturnix don't use perches. I didn't think that CA quail did either.

Back
Top Bottom