California Quail pics

Discussion in 'Quail' started by kllyjansen, Sep 16, 2011.

1. kllyjansen

kllyjansen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Hello,

My bf, amaurer, posted frequently back in May after we hatched our first quail ever. I followed along and sometimes posted under his name but decided to sign up for myself.

Anyways, I wanted to post the most recent pics of our quail. We have 2 male California, 8 female California, and one Blue Scale of unknown sex. Hatched on May 3. ::Knocks on wood:: We haven't lost any since the hatch and they are all happy and healthy. We're hoping for eggs in the spring :0)

Thanks for letting me share,
    Kelly

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  2. tweetyflights

tweetyflights Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2010
    Gorgeous birds! I really like that cage, what are the dimensions?

3. kllyjansen

Sep 16, 2011
    Thank you [​IMG]

I can't remember dimensions exactly... roughly 3' wide, 6' tall, 8' long. I think the hutch part is 3x4x4. I do know we aimed for 3 sq/ft per bird with 11 birds. They really seem to like it, spending most of their time outdoors and heading inside for food/water. I'm going to add another perch outdoors since they seem to use the first one so much, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

4. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Very nice. Interesting on them using the perches. I have never had these type of quail though.

5. ChickasaurusRex

ChickasaurusRex Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    SF Bay
    Is this breed calm/docile? Skittish?

6. kllyjansen

Sep 16, 2011
    They are very 'ground dwelling" still, but at some point in the night they always wind up roosting on the perch. And throughout the day they enjoy flying up to it on the way into their box... exercising their wings I guess.

The breed is extremely skittish, I would not recommend as 'pets'. Despite being hand-raised and us actively trying to make them friendly, they spook and want nothing to do with us. Very pretty, but definitely not calm/docile. We were prepared for that, but thought we would try anyways because they are native to our area and we wanted to be able to keep them outdoors.

I just love these guys Their topknots are amazing and their great coloration really does not come through in the pics. Even the females are gorgeous.

-Kelly

7. Missi

Missi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Oh they are just beautiful! Thank you for sharing! [​IMG]

8. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    Quote:X-2 on that... cva34

9. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    beautiful birds, and love the coop, they actually use the ramp pretty well?

10. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by