California Valley Quail Questions

DucksAreBest

🦆 𝓓𝓾𝓬𝓴 𝓛𝓸𝓿𝓮𝓻 🦆
Jan 21, 2021
Camas, Washington
My Coop
My Coop
I currently don't have any California Valley quail, but I am thinking of getting some. And I have some questions:
How many eggs do they lay every year?
What should the ratio be of the males to females to have fertile eggs?
Can they tolerate temperatures below freezing?
Are they good meat birds?

@Nabiki @007Sean?

I currently don't have any California Valley quail, but I am thinking of getting some. And I have some questions:

@Nabiki @007Sean?
I have no experience from owning them, however, we have a lot of wild ones at our house/outside in the wild. I see them in pairs and know that they have one mate until a mate dies.

I don't personally raise California quail but I am pretty sure that they don't lay a lot and are only seasonal layers. I'm pretty sure that they won't tolerate cold weather that good. But someone that owns them will probably correct me or agree with me.

@DucksAreBest If you are looking for meat birds, go for coturnix. California quail only produce a clutch or two (or three) in the spring. Chicks don't grow fast like coturnix and mature and breed in the following year. If you are wondering if they can handle the cold, see the below video:

@Nabiki @007Sean?
Valleys typically lay between 10 -16 eggs per clutch, the average being 18. If the eggs are taken when layed, then a hen can be expected to lay from 28- 30 eggs per breeding season.

In a large aviary, typically 4 or 5 males to 20 to 30 females....although in the wild, they will pair up in the spring (breeding season) after hatching they will form up in groups of related birds, forming large brooding groups, often the males in the groups may not be the father of the chicks.

As long as they have protection from the elements ;ie, rain, snow, ice and able to get out of the wind, they can handle temperatures down to -20F.
HTH

Valleys typically lay between 10 -16 eggs per clutch, the average being 18. If the eggs are taken when layed, then a hen can be expected to lay from 28- 30 eggs per breeding season.

In a large aviary, typically 4 or 5 males to 20 to 30 females....although in the wild, they will pair up in the spring (breeding season) after hatching they will form up in groups of related birds, forming large brooding groups, often the males in the groups may not be the father of the chicks.

As long as they have protection from the elements ;ie, rain, snow, ice and able to get out of the wind, they can handle temperatures down to -20F.
HTH
Thank you so much for this information!!! I really appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom