California Valley Quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by High Roost Ranch, Jul 10, 2010.

1. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

I picked up 5 CVQ at a swap last month as youngsters, they are growing and eating and drinking just fine. They're fun to watch. I have several questions about them though as I really know nothing about this breed of quail, my experience has been with Blue Scale, Coturnix and Buttons. Are the CVQ similar in care requirements to the Blue Scale? And I'm wondering how I'm going to sex them, are they dimorphic? Are they seasonal layers or will they lay year round? I'm feeding a gamebird grower direct from the mill so I know it's fresh. I don't feed them anything else. Should I? They are just starting to get their little question mark tops now (the oldest is starting to color up with adult plumage), and are staggered in age over about 2 weeks I'm going to guess based on what I've seen them grow since I've had them.

And will they be needing a soft topped flight when they are mature so they don't fly up and break a neck on a solid surface? I know my buttons were like torpedoes when they took flight, so I always kept them in a cage with a lower ceiling so they couldn't hurt themselves.

I guess I'm kind of surprised and pleased I have not lost a single one, knock on wood. They so far seem very easy to keep, or perhaps I've just been lucky so far.

2. High Roost Ranch

Nobody else raises California Valley Quail that can help me out??? Please??????????????????????????????????????????????????

I'm off to a good start with these, don't want to mess it up, LOL.

Biggest question is, HOW are they sexed?

3. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

We have been trying to get our hands on some Valley or Blue Scaled and have had zero luck. Just popping in to congratulate you!!

4. High Roost Ranch

Thank you! I just happened upon them at the swap. The lady gave me a deal so she had gas money to get home on. I really didn't NEED any more birds with my upcoming move, but I justified it because 1) I'd always wanted some, and 2) they are small and won't take up much room on the move. How's that for justification??? LOL

I'd be glad to share eggs once I get some. But that's depending on whether I am stuck with either all males or all females. That would be sad.

5. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Oh yea! keep me in mind. I would love to be your 1st customer [​IMG]

6. High Roost Ranch

I sure will! [​IMG]

7. Valley quail breeder

Valley quail breeder Songster

Jan 13, 2010
    Greensboro, NC
    Quote:There easy to care for similar to Blue Scale they startle easily just have to move slow around them far as feed use game bird starter than when older use regular game feed. they only lay eggs from April to Aug, Far as sexing you will know the difference the females will be grayish and the males will have black and White on there faces like in this pic. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/47039_rggg.jpg

8. aprophet

aprophet Songster

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:near as I can find the males mohawk is red the female is much more drab I just hatched a few gamble valleys I am waiting for them to color out so I can tell the difference between the gambles and valleys then I think I will be able to determine sex [​IMG]

9. Valley quail breeder

Valley quail breeder Songster

Jan 13, 2010
    Greensboro, NC
    Quote:near as I can find the males mohawk is red the female is much more drab I just hatched a few gamble valleys I am waiting for them to color out so I can tell the difference between the gambles and valleys then I think I will be able to determine sex [​IMG]

Gambel males are Redish Brown & California Valley Quail males are black & white faces. Gambels and Valleys are Two different species.

10. kbeagle

kbeagle CHICKEN AND QUAIL LADY

Quote:I'm also very very very interested in some valley quail also, i have been looking for them for 2 years. and can't find them yet. and to everyone else who read this post, and who got some valley quail, i would love to have some too. and please pm me or email kim at [email protected]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: