California Valley Quails Hatching with Bobwhites?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by LyrebirdJacki, Aug 10, 2013.

1. LyrebirdJacki

LyrebirdJacki Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    Darwin Australia
    Hello,

I've got some bobwhites starting their laying season and am looking at getting some Valley Quail eggs to hatch. I only have so much room in my incubator and was wondering if I should mix the eggs and have them hatch all together.

So far I have read up that they hatch "roughly" the same time (21-23 days) but I am unsure if their temperatures and humidity are the same as I am having trouble finding that information. I have had success hatching Japs with Bobwhites (I know, it's almost considered taboo, but I just added japs a few days after bobs and had them hatch at the same time. They outgrew the bobs quickly but they were never aggressive) but would like to know if Valleys and Bobs are ever done together.

Don't worry, I don't plan on crossing the two species!

Any advise?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    The Valleys will hatch a day or so before the Bobwhites. The humidity and temps during incubation are generally the same. I would say that if you have hatched eggs before, then you could swing this. However if this is your first attempt at incubation, I would keep the two in separate incubators as the two species hatching so close together could cause issues when you need to remove the Valleys during pipping of the Bobs. But if you have done this before, you are less likely to make trouble. :)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by