California White Hen not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sweetlyss24, Oct 17, 2013.

1. sweetlyss24

sweetlyss24 New Egg

Oct 17, 2013
    I got a small flock of six chicks this past Spring. They are all different varieties. All but one...my California White...have been laying for 4-6 wks now. Is it common for her to not be laying yet at @26 wks old? They have been completely free range all summer, but when they started laying I found one was not using the nesting boxes. To encourage them being used I have been keeping them in the fenced in run for a couple of weeks.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    California Whites are a commercial leghorn cross, so it is somewhat unusual for her not to be laying at 26 weeks, especially since your others are. Hopefully she is just a slow starter and will start laying soon. Does she look and act normal? Are you sure it is her not laying?

3. sweetlyss24

sweetlyss24 New Egg

Oct 17, 2013
    A s far as I can tell she is fine. She is my only white egg layer. I thought maybe she was laying in the field or something...but since being in the run...no eggs. I figured she would be one of my first. Hopefully soon :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by