California White laying brown eggs?

asteria819

Chirping
May 2, 2019
TN
Hello all! Hopefully this is in the right spot.
We have an 18 week old California White hen who just began laying this week! She's first of our flock to start laying and needless to say, we're excited (eggcited? too cheesy? ok, :gig)
She has been laying cute little light brown eggs with some white speckles. The speckles have decreased by day so now they're pretty much just a light brown. We were under the impression that our California Whites would be laying white eggs instead of brown. Not that there is an issue with her laying brown, we don't care about the color, LOL we're just wondering if she's maybe actually mixed with something else or if this is normal since she is a newly laying hen. Hopefully this doesn't mean there is something going on with her. She has become a sweetheart since she started laying and actually hangs out with us when we don't have any treats! (although she's probably under the impression that we will get some lol)
Thanks guys!

Just looked up the Austra white that’s what my girls look like their eggs are more light brown then cream though.
Sorry just saw this! Both my girls are white with black specks (although they’re more like light brown chickens now with how messy they are, LOL). At first the eggs were a light brown but now they are a more of a cream color but definitely not white. Mine are laying medium sized instead of large eggs and it says austrawhites lay large cream eggs so who knows what mine really are! Lol oh well.

Attachments

• 6512FF36-06A4-4521-81EE-D906042D3071.png
    6512FF36-06A4-4521-81EE-D906042D3071.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 19
  • 555584B6-584D-472D-9CEB-729CABEE9B2B.png
    555584B6-584D-472D-9CEB-729CABEE9B2B.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 19
Well, according to Vanna White, white chickens lay white eggs and brown chickens lay brown eggs. Maybe we should tell her something, lol. I've always wondered, with her reasoning, what color chicken lays green eggs.

I have the same issue I have three Orpington’s and two California whites that are 21 weeks doing the egg squat etc. orpington‘s have been laying since about 17 weeks I was getting concerned the whites weren’t laying yet. On some days there’s four or five brown eggs and I have had no white eggs! My girls are white with black specs- thought for sure they were California whites -bought from tractor supply also. Now I am thinking they are laying the lighter brown eggs. Do the Austra whites have black specs ?

Back
Top Bottom