California White leghorn roosters?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by beckyg718, Aug 2, 2013.

1. beckyg718

beckyg718 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2011
    Capron, IL
    Bought about 15 straight run leghorns which were small when I bought them. I picked out the 4 hens which were obviously hens, however have had leghorns before and do know the combs can be confusing. It appears that most of these are roosters so I don't want to sell them if they are hens. I'm going by their deep red, standing straight up combs, no combs are flopping to the side, but a couple seem to be a little floppy...Their back tails some are starting to curl down, yet some appear to be standing straight. I hear a few crowing but not sure which ones. They are almost 6 months.(ignore the date of 2004 & the other browner chickens)
    I wasn't told they which type of leghorns either, so I think they are a bunch of different types and the one is mixed with a larger breed as he's got some red flecks on him/her, and is beefier,(more friendly of the crowd also and not so hyper).
    ANY help would be great. Can post better pics if that helps.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, it does appear as though you have a lot of roosters! I see two roosters (an the tail of a rooster) in the first photo, five roosters (including your little brown bird) in the second picture, and eight roosters in the last photo.

3. beckyg718

beckyg718 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2011
    Capron, IL
    Yes, that's what I thought. I was hoping maybe #2, chicken in the front wasn't a rooster, less red comb, smaller, but he is quite tall in stance. ugh.
    thanks for the reply

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by