California White Pullet

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kmwright, Jul 2, 2010.

1. kmwright

kmwright Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    Winters, CA
    I am very new to this, just got my first chicks last week. I got one that said "California White Pullet" but I can't find that on the breed index. Is there another name for it? She's super sweet, but feisty and crafty for sure. My daughter named her Blondie.

Here is a picture of her:

[​IMG]

And here is another picture I posted over on the raising chicks section. Note that she is the one who started this whole "jumping out" trend. She is over to the left by herself, acting all innocent...

[​IMG]

Any info on the breed? Temperment, etc? The only chick I've had problems with is the Ameraucana (which is how it was labeled, it could be an EE), but she picks at all the others and pulls their feathers out. And she peeps SUPER loud. [​IMG]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I understand the California White is a sex link cross between a white leghorn hen and a California Gray rooster. Should be a great egg layer but possibly smaller than other full sized chickens.

3. kmwright

kmwright Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    Winters, CA
    Thanks! I read that after posting this. She is smaller than the others, but she is super sweet! She is the favorite of my daughter and is reguarly held on her back like a baby. She just closes her eyes and rests her head. I really hope she's not a rooster!!

4. Elphaba2140

Elphaba2140 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    I have two California White pullets. The bigger of the two is my favorite and the Alpha girl. Her name is Spot. LOL. Not original but it fits. She has on black splash on her back. They are about the same size as my Ameraucana pullets, so I don't think they are small at all. They are friendly and supposed to be good layers. Here is a link with the information I found about them from Feathersite.com. I got mine from a local feed store but they bought them from Cackle. You can get information there too. Hope this helps.

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/CalGray/BRKCalGray.html#CW

5. RonB

RonB Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Woodinville
    kmwright
    I have a year old California White. Out of my EIGHT hens she is BY FAR the Friendliest and my FAVORITE. she will fly up onto my arm and shoulder when she sees me with food. she even comes into the house if I leave the door open. Her eggs aren't as big as my white leghorns. but my leghorns are so flightly, you can't get near them.
    She lays a medium to large egg at least 5 out of 7 days. I am going to get another one in the spring.

You will love yours, if she is anything like mine:hugs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by