California White X California White?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Cowgrl4life, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Cowgrl4life

Cowgrl4life Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2010
    I know that a california white is a cross, like a sex link. And that a sex link bred to a sex link would not be "sex linked" but since a california white isnt based on color at hatch, would a california white bred to a california white produce "california white" babies?

2. Chickanmanfromarkansas

Chickanmanfromarkansas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2010
    I see no one has answered your question yet? Not really an expert on Callie's but I would expect yes that they would produce more California Whites, although probably more white would come out in them. We'll see around here come next spring my dad has bought some resently and we'll probably hatch some out to see what they do and if they will as good a layer as parents.

3. danhonour

danhonour Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2010
    Dutchess County,NY
    I think they are an f1 cross between California Grays (an egg bred Cuckoo Leghorn) and White egg bred Leghorn.You will likily get a good laying f2 (second generation cross),mostly white.It is possible a few could be cuckoo (crude barred color).If you continue to breed them further you could select and breed Cuckoo Leghorns.Could be an interesting project,and good layers along the way.

4. Chickanmanfromarkansas

Chickanmanfromarkansas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2010
    Actually you can get Barred Leghorns from Larry's Poultry. I think that Nature's Hatchery also have them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by