"California White"

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Gray Ghost, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Gray Ghost

Gray Ghost Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2010
    What's the difference between a White Leghorn and a "California White?" They look the same to me.

GG

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  3. Karrie13

Karrie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    I have a California White hen and she is a great little bird! She doesn't eat much, isn't flighty, and is my best producer. She will often go months at a time giving me a extra large egg a day without a day off, a big egg for such a small bird. She is my only white egg layer so it is easy to tell which egg is her's. [​IMG] I don't have any experience with leghorns but can't speak enough good about the cali white bird.

4. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    A California White is a California Grey x White Leghorn. Here's another link with info about them: https://secuservices.com/ideal/newideal/selectproduct.aspx?qty=1&ID=CWP&Product=353

Production
    Black is another name for California Grey. [​IMG] Ideal pictures them with black spots, but every picture of an actual bird I've seen was solid white or with one or two or three black feathers... [​IMG]

I'm considering getting some of these this spring, so anyone who's had them before please pm me and tell me what you thought about them, especially if they're from Ideal. [​IMG]

5. alleyjazz

alleyjazz Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2010
    Southern New Hampshire
    I have two California Whites that I got from Craigs List at point of lay so i really don't know where they came from. They are great birds, smallish, very sweet and easy to handle, not flighty at all. They are the top chickens in my coop and rule the roost. The Alpha chicken can be a bit noisy with the egg song, but the other one is fairly quiet. They both lay a nice large egg nearly every day. I would highly recommend this chicken. My two are white with a few black spots but not nearly as many as I've seen in pictures. I think you'll be happy with them. Here's a picture of mine enjoying some snacks.
    [​IMG]

6. farmboy22

farmboy22 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2012
    They lay great eggs, but most of mine had prolapses and didn't lay for awhile.

7. fintuckyfarms

fintuckyfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2013
    Finley WA
    So excited, just got my order!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. fintuckyfarms

Dec 31, 2013
    Finley WA

Mine are from ideal, please follow along!

9. fintuckyfarms

Dec 31, 2013
    Finley WA
    Two week update! Very flighty to change and sudden movement or unexpected sounds but also so sweet at the same time.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Rickba

Rickba Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2017
    Pa
    I see the post here are older, but I just bought some CW chicks from Tractor Supply. Mine seem really friendly. When I go in the brood to change the water and add feed they want to peck at my fingers and roost on my hand. Not shy at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by