California White

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Theapplechicks, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Theapplechicks

Theapplechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    I had a couple questions. We by chance got a California white from our local TS this yr. and she was the SWEETEST hen we have ever had! Huge! but sweet! I've never had one before and I'm just wondering if we lucked out w/ her or if that breed is all like that.
    She passed away this morning [​IMG] (or last night) and we are not sure why. Thinking maybe the heat?? We loved her dearly and if the breed is all lovely like she was I would love to get another one or 2. Do you know anywhere I could get another or if you can special order from TS??

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    How old was she?
    From your description, I can't help thinking that she sounds like a Cornish Rock hybrid. If she was, then that would explain her sudden death. Meat birds don't usually live long.

And yes, dying from overheating is fairly likely.

[​IMG] I'm sorry that she died.

3. Majestic Lane Poultry

Majestic Lane Poultry Heart Strings Animal Rehoming

Feb 9, 2009
    Our California Whites are friendly and curious. They do not care to be held or petted but follow us around everywhere. Where do you live?

4. Theapplechicks

Apr 13, 2011
    Quote:They told us she was a Cornish rock but she was marked like a Calif. white and didn't look like any of the other chickens in there. Had someone on board think she was a Calf. white also. Maybe not? So they are a meat bird? They told us they were profound layers! I wondered because she was so big and solid. The heaviest chicken we've ever had and she was only 3mo old.

She was sooo friendly and sweet! If she was a meat bird I don't know how anyone could have killed her! She loved attention and to be held. Came when called by her name. Well if she was this Cornish Rock and they don't live long, then I wouldn't want to do that. My kids get too attatched. (i do too)

what might you suggest of another one that would be so sweet like her? We've never had one like her that was that friendly before.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  5. Theapplechicks

Apr 13, 2011
    Quote:We are in GA

6. Theapplechicks

Apr 13, 2011
    we got her around the end of march. A week or two before Easter.

7. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Quote:They told us she was a Cornish rock but she was marked like a Calif. white and didn't look like any of the other chickens in there. Had someone on board think she was a Calf. white also. Maybe not? So they are a meat bird? They told us they were profound layers! I wondered because she was so big and solid. The heaviest chicken we've ever had and she was only 3mo old.

She was sooo friendly and sweet! If she was a meat bird I don't know how anyone could have killed her! She loved attention and to be held. Came when called by her name. Well if she was this Cornish Rock and they don't live long, then I wouldn't want to do that. My kids get too attatched. (i do too)

what might you suggest of another one that would be so sweet like her? We've never had one like her that was that friendly before.

Yeah, Cornish Rocks are the ultimate fast growing meat bird. Do you have any pictures of her? She definitely doesn't sound like a California White to me, although I'm no expert.

My Easter Eggers from Cackle Hatchery are pretty sweet. They're good laying hens too, and are both three years old now. I highly recommend them. [​IMG]

8. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

So sorry you lost your dear sweet girl. You might want to look into the original Cornish breed which has a normal lifespan and is a slow grower. They mixed the Cornish with other breeds to produce the fast growing meat birds (Cornish Rocks). Does anyone know what their disposition is like? They are cute truck-like chickens, we're hoping to have one or two some day...not for eatin but for lovin'.

That might be an option for you. Again, my heart goes out to you and your kids. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by