1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

California Whites Thread! Pics Please :)!!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by matthewschickens, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Does anybody have California Whites?
    I love mine and wondered if anyone else has or have had them?
    Does anyone else besides me like them?

Thanks!

Matthew

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  2. noahsgeese

noahsgeese Border Collie

Nov 30, 2009
    Virginia
    I really like them, I think they are very good birds!

Noah

3. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    They are a hybrid between a California Grey and a Leghorn. I have one hen left. I bought 8 from the co-op and 6 were roos! I gave 4 to my mom, including the other hen, and the roos didn't play fair (they were raping my duck) so I sent them to freezer camp. I love the hen I have though, her name is Gravy, as she was the only chick with gray legs.

4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    Idaho
    I have 5 Cali hens. They are always the ones that get out. All of my others are big, dual purpose birds. These little guys fly well even after wing trimming. They lay nice white eggs and do so almost every day.

5. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    yours lays white? Gravy lays a brown egg!

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I wanted CA Whites, I ordered from Ideal, and they sent me the Ideal 236 instead, they didn't have the CA whites when my order went out.
    I think they're so pretty!

7. Pupsnpullets

Pupsnpullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    I have one and she lays a large almost pinkish egg. Not white, not beige. Nice girl.

8. Our Cali Hens lay white eggs and they also fly over the fence!

Matthew

9. RonB

RonB Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Woodinville
    I have one Calf. white. she was a bit skidish like my White leghorns. then I started giving all my flock mealworms. Now she follows me around more than my dog. shes almost in my hip pocket. she lets me pick her up No problem! she lays a nice white egg. todays was a double yoker.
    Mine flew out of the run along with one of my white leghorns. about a month ago. There was a coyote in our pasture. I found my leghorn right away. but I thought my White was a goner !! about a half hour later she came flying out of the woods. ran up to me and looked at me like "where in the Hell were you?" then off she went. the run has since been covered

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  10. Where did everyone get their Cali. Whites

I got my from a local who buys them from somewhere and sells them.

Matthew

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by