California Whites

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by txyank1961, Apr 30, 2017.

1. txyank1961

txyank1961 Just Hatched

Apr 30, 2017
    North Texas
    Hello. I'm posting to introduce myself. I'm not new to caring for backyard birds. I've had Khaki Campbell ducks and Canada Geese in the past, all free range, but had major losses to predators. This is my first time with chickens. I've started with a small coop and run to house 4 California White hens. They are currently 12 weeks old and doing great. I live in North Central Texas. This flock is a learning experience for me. If all goes well, I plan on expanding the size of the flock next year. Looking forward to reading all of the informative info on this site.

2. Jetblack2004

Jetblack2004 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2016
    East Sussex
    [​IMG]
    California Whites are beautiful hens! You'll love them!
    Have fun on BYC
    -Jet

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I'm surprised Canadian Geese were taken by predators - they put up quite a fierce battle. Maybe your CD weren't as LARGE as the wild one's that use the Midwest as their toilet.

Welcome to Backyard chickens

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. I think you have started in the best way - starting small is less hectic and makes for a gentle learning curve.

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre - https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread#post_3239224

All the best
    CT

5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under txyank1961 [​IMG] Welcome!

I am sorry to hear of your losses [​IMG]

As you have already received links to some good starting points, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

6. txyank1961

txyank1961 Just Hatched

Apr 30, 2017
    North Texas
    Thanks for the welcome folks. I'll probably be more of a "lurker" on this forum than a poster. I like to observe and react to situations with my animals, but I'm sure if I run into a problem I cannot figure out, you will be the first to know.

drumstick diva... In response to your post on my "Canadas" In actuality, The were Giant Canada Geese, probably larger than what most people have seen. They are of the least populist of the sub species of Canadas but it probably doesn't matter when the villain of the story was a Cougar.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by