California Whites???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by momoftwinsinwi, Jun 5, 2007.

1. momoftwinsinwi

momoftwinsinwi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Rochester, WI
    I haven't heard anyone mention this breed and when I spoke to the hatchery and placed my order, I told the owner, I wanted big white layers and big brown layers - he said, he would hook me up with 8 CA whites and 8 Reds (which I assume are RIR). He based the amount of chicks we should have on the size of our chicken house. Does anyone else have CA Whites?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I've had some cali whites, I found that they do lay like crazy, but aren't "big". They are just like leghorns to me, including the flightyness and slender bodies. Only difference is that they have black specks.

3. momoftwinsinwi

May 29, 2007
    Rochester, WI
    the chickens aren't big or the eggs aren't big?? I think they are some sort of cross with a leghorn and something else and are known to be "skittish" - oh well, we'll see...

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Oh eggs are big, eggs are wonderful from them. They just are't that friendly in my experience. They are a leghorn cross, but I forget with what. I think it may be a cali grey.

5. momoftwinsinwi

May 29, 2007
    Rochester, WI
    You're right Silkie -it is crossed with Cali grey!! Thanks for the info!

6. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I never heard of CA White's but I have some White Rocks and they are really nice chickens! Big, robust and lay big brown eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by