Californian babies (updated)

BCBunnies

Chirping
8 Years
May 6, 2011
Woke up this morning and heard the outside cat meowing because something got into her food last night and she was hungry. Well I head to the back room where the feed is stored as well as the room with the buns and what did I see....

I saw something squirming and pink in Mama rabbit's cage.
ep.gif

90494_pictures_from_around_the_farm_035.jpg

I let her and the buck out in the living room for about 20 minutes while I got cages ready for them the very day I bought them, and he only popped her once before I put them in their separate cages. One time was sure enough. LOL So we have 3 cute pink Californian buns (so far only 3) all fat and happy and snuggled in to the nest box. She gave no indication that she was making a nest I even palpated her and couldn't feel any lumps. So as I gave her a treat of a couple of cheerios I shook my finger at her and told her it wasn't nice to hide things like that from us. But I'm so glad she is being such a good mommy.

90494_pictures_from_around_the_farm_036.jpg

Relaxing after all that hard work.

Last edited:
whoopsy... oh well, they are sure cute though... even if they are naked.
tongue.png
So apparently they don't *lie about bunnies being prolific.

*typo

Last edited:
Quote:
No had no idea as she has been responsive to mating attempts with my other buck.
hu.gif
Guess she likes the boys? And really didn't figure he'd be fertile his first breeding as he was only 4 1/2 months old and never been tried. But worked out perfect since we don't have the buck anymore and I would love to keep a doe or 3 if they all are...
hide.gif
Just don't tell Kevin I want to keep them.

Thank you for all the congrats as well we are excited to be raising our first litter of registerable kits this time.
celebrate.gif
May wind up keeping them for a bit longer to show them too.
hide.gif

Also update she only had three and that's fine she had just weaned a litter shortly before I bought her a month ago but she kept good condition in fact she's a little on the hefty side even now. Someone might go on a diet if feeding these guys doesn't trim her down.

Bad news we lost one bun as thee mama rabbit doesn't have any milk for the kits.
hit.gif
Flipped her over for the remaining two kits and they would latch on try to nurse then get frustrated and look for another nipple no change in the fullness of their bellies. Since I was in a pinch to get something in them asap I grabbed an eye dropper and mixed up some milk replacer I had for the goats. Doing research now to see what else I can do for hhand raising such young babies. I'm also trying them back in with their mom in hopes that she will get her supply in to be able to nurse the babies herself as I know that would be better for them. For now they have full tummies and are content to be nice and warm tucked into my shirt. They took to the eyedropper willingly one even biting the tip of the dropper it was so hungry.

Thank you for the heads up I saw that but missed the link previously. I tried to feed a little more with the smaller eye dropper when my fiancee got home from getting it and they ate better with it since they can fit it in their mouths. Both were chomping down on it readily and got about 2 mls each the second feeding and look nice and round now snuggled back down into my pocket. Crossing my fingers that these little guys will make it. Have updated pics with full tummies though they don't look as full as they actually are both little piggies ate between 3-4 mls each.

90494_californian_babies_001.jpg

90494_californian_babies_002.jpg

Back
Top Bottom