Californian Meat Rabbit Grow-Out Thread... **Picture Heavy**

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by WhiteMountainsRanch, Dec 19, 2010.

1. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Following in the footsteps of sandspoultry here is my journal and updates for my purebred Californian Rabbits. We will be doing 2, 4, 6, 8, and 12 week weights. They eat Purina Show, and we will start measuring the food at 2 weeks of age including the doe, they will have pellets and bermuda hay in front of them 24/7 (free-feed), with occasional veggie/ green treats. The doe will probably be kept with the kits until 8 weeks. *Updated moved to larger cage at 3 weeks old*

[​IMG]

Doe- Lily 9 months old
    [​IMG]

Buck- Novi 1 year old
    [​IMG]

Litter born on 12-09-10. ETA: I finally disturbed them enough to count and there are six. [​IMG]

1 day old.
    [​IMG]

5 Days Old.
    [​IMG]

10 days old.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  2. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Very nice. So how many kits did she have?

3. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    I need to go show this pic to my NZW doe. She is breed to my Cali buck and is due today. Still no buns! She had started to make a nest in her box so I am hoping she has them tonight.

4. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I need to go count how many there are I am just afraid of disturbing her and then she rejects them or something. [​IMG]

ETA: I did it, I went and moved them and counted and there are six. Wow they grow FAST! [​IMG] 10 days old.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  5. chickenwhisperer

chickenwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Chicken Country, U S A
    Quote:Your good, you wont and she wont [​IMG]

6. terri9630

terri9630 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    New Mexico
    Your Cali's were born the same day as my 5 NZW's. It will be interesting to see how their weights differ.

7. chickenwhisperer

chickenwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Chicken Country, U S A
    Hey WMR, I got my pet rabbits and my meat rabbits . . .
    Imma give you a few words of advice.

Dont start paying attention to how cute they are, or give them cute names, or pet them, or get attached to them in any way.
    I consider myself a DIY kinda guy, and there aint much that phases me, but it took about 15mins and many "ready-set-gos" before I could actually dispatch my first coupla rabbits.

Now I just dont think about it, and keep the meat rabbits away from the pet rabbits.

8. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Yesterday I got another litter ...this time Silver Fox & Cal/NZ mix rabbits. I will have to start another thread to see how this cross measures up to the other grow out thread I did. Just 4 more days and you can weigh them.
    I have never had a mother reject her kits after I handled or looked at them. I just make sure I pet her first and then mess with the kits and then pet her again. I will look at them just hours after the are born. Remove anything that needs to be removed and cover them back up. This is going to be nice to see how other people's rabbits weight out.
    Good going.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  9. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Dont start paying attention to how cute they are, or give them cute names, or pet them, or get attached to them in any way.
    I consider myself a DIY kinda guy, and there aint much that phases me, but it took about 15mins and many "ready-set-gos" before I could actually dispatch my first coupla rabbits.

I know it's going to be hard, as I have always been very fond of rabbits but we plan on selling some to the 4h kids, keeping some for breeding stock, and then whatever is left will go in our freezer. I know it will be tough but I am tougher. [​IMG] Also, it's my very first litter from my favorite doe and her first litter as well so I can't help but gush. [​IMG]

Yesterday I got another litter ...this time Silver Fox & Cal/NZ mix rabbits. I will have to start another thread to see how this cross measures up to the other grow out thread I did. Just 4 more days and you can weigh them.
    I have never had a mother reject her kits after I handled or looked at them. I just make sure I pet her first and then mess with the kits and then pet her again. I will look at them just hours after the are born. Remove anything that needs to be removed and cover them back up. This is going to be nice to see how other people's rabbits weight out.
    Good going.

Wow neat! I am looking very forward to our 2 week weights to see how they compare, also I am very interested to see how they compare to your new litter there. [​IMG] Neat! However, it's gonna be a pita to weigh them with all the wind and rain we've been having!​

10. Hooligan Farm

Hooligan Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    Burlington County, NJ
    I think I'm going to jump on the bandwagon and do a thread on my NZ/Rex crosses. That's if you guys are interested.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by